Securing the border
Notice - Cannabis
Despite the fact that cannabis (marijuana) will become legal and regulated in Canada in the near future, it will remain illegal to take cannabis across Canada’s national borders, whether you are entering or leaving Canada. For more information, consult cannabis (marijuana) legalization.
availableTo ensure the free flow of legitimate people and goods, the CBSA monitors, investigates, detains and removes those people or goods in violation of the relevant laws. We do this by putting in place programs and services to: ensure trade security, manage access to Canada and work together with business and other government organizations.
Report border-related criminal activity
- Border Watch toll-free line at 1-888-502-9060
- Podcast - Identifying border threats: how customs brokers can help
The CBSA continually works on new ways to protect the safety of all Canadians and facilitate the flow of legitimate travellers and goods in and out of Canada.
- Intelligence and risk management
- Border screening
- Arrests, detentions, alternatives to detentions and removals
- Human Trafficking
- Customs Controlled Areas
- Key figures on asylum claims made in Canada
- Open Government Portal
Canada works proactively to establish and maintain strong working relationships with governments, organizations and communities that foster an open dialogue for information sharing and risk management.
- Joint Border Strategy (CBSA and Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- Security certificates (Public Safety Canada)
- Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- Immigration Task Force (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- Canada's War Crimes Program (Justice Canada, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- Canada's Missing (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- Plan for the Movement of People and Goods During and Following an Emergency (Public Safety Canada)
Joint Canada/U.S. initiatives
- Prohibited or Restricted Goods
- National Immigration Detention Framework
- Wood Packaging Standard
- Anti-dumping and Countervailing
- Administrative Monetary Penalty System
- Food, Plant and Animal Inspections
- Combatting Counterfeit Products (Intellectual Property Rights)
- Complete list of relevant acts and regulations
- Date modified: