Despite the fact that cannabis (marijuana) is legal and regulated in Canada, it remains illegal to take cannabis across Canada’s national borders, whether you are entering or leaving Canada. Additionally, receiving or sending cannabis into or out of Canada by mail or courier is also illegal. Unauthorized purchases from outside Canada (online or other) will be confiscated at the border and may lead to arrest and criminal prosecution.
For more information, consult cannabis (marijuana) legalization.
African swine fever
Although there have been reported cases of African swine fever in China and parts of Europe, there have been no reported cases in Canada.
Learn more about African swine fever and get more information about how to prevent animal diseases from entering Canada.
Canadian border information and services for non-Canadians visiting, settling in or doing business with Canada.
Plan your trip across the border
- Current border wait times
- Use the CanBorder app to help plan your next cross-border trip
- Border and contact information
- Reporting requirements for private boaters
- Private Vessel Remote Clearance Pilot Project
- CBSA Cruise Ship Clearance Procedures
- Reporting requirements for non-commercial aircraft
What to expect at the border
Save time at the border
- Automated Border Clearance Kiosks
- APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)
- Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC)
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology
- Date modified: