Language selection


Border information for international travel

From: Canada Border Services Agency

Everyone wants their border crossing to go smoothly with few delays. The best way to make sure this happens is to know what to expect and be prepared.

Whether you're returning home or visiting, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) wants to help you plan your trip across the border with some useful tools.

Services and information

COVID-19 Emergency border measures have ended

ArriveCAN: For a faster border experience

Use ArriveCAN to submit your customs and immigration declaration before flying into Canada.

Refugees and asylum

Claim refugee protection, sponsor a refugee, find services for refugees in Canada and appeal a refugee claim.

Programs for trusted travellers

Learn about programs to make border crossings faster and easier for travellers, private and commercial operators.

Estimate duty and taxes

Get an estimate of the duties and taxes on imported goods.

Plan your trip across the border

Border wait times, reporting requirements, tips to improve your experience crossing the border.

Finding our missing children

Prepare your children before they travel. What we are doing to find missing children.

Travel tips

Border services and requirements for visitors, legal guardians, travellers with a disability, pet owners.

Bring goods across the border

Types of goods you can bring to Canada and personal exemptions.

Moving or returning to Canada

For people who will be settling in Canada or former residents moving back.

Importing goods for personal use

Prohibited and restricted weapons, cannabis and cannabis products, animals and food, vehicles, boats, duties and more.

Examining digital devices at the Canadian border

When CBSA officers decide to examine your device at the border. Know your rights.

Primary inspection kiosks

Verify your identity and make an on-screen declaration at Canada's major international airports.

Service reductions at ports of entry

Certain air, marine and land borders are temporarily closed.

Renewing work and study permits and confirming permanent residence

Select ports of entry may process these requests if you meet the criteria.

Report a problem on this page

This email is to report problems or inaccuracies on a page. Spam and comments containing offensive language will be reported or deleted. For help with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) programs or services, contact border information services.

Report a problem by email
Date modified: