Exemptions ending for certain travellers entering Canada

Effective , some foreign national travellers who were previously allowed to enter Canada without being fully vaccinated will now be required to be fully vaccinated in order to enter Canada. There will also be changes to testing and quarantine exemptions for certain travellers, regardless of citizenship, entering Canada.

Find out if you can enter Canada

COVID-19: Global travel advisory

Effective : Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada, regardless of your vaccination status. Omicron travel health notice

Canadian border information and services for non-residents visiting, settling in or doing business with Canada.

General Information

Electronic travel authorization

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Fake websites

Travellers who apply for an eTA are advised to be cautious in all dealings with companies that claim to offer help in getting an eTA. These companies are not operating on behalf of the Government of Canada. Many have established websites that charge a fee to provide information and submit eTA applications.

This Government of Canada website is the official place to apply for an eTA.

Events in Canada

Visitors to Canada

Non-Canadian business

Coming to Canada to study or work

For processing of work permit and study permit applications, or confirmation of permanent residence, temporary residents should visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to complete an application or to find an IRCC office closest to their current residence to book an appointment for processing. For additional details, to access IRCC online services or to make an appointment, visit IRCC or call 1-888-242-2100.

Refugee claimants

Securing the border

Securing the border - More

Other government sources

Date modified: