In this section
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will accept a Power of Attorney which allows the Principal to appoint an attorney to act on their behalf while applying for a carrier code and associated bond with the CBSA. The CBSA’s preferred power of attorney template can be found here. A fillable electronic version of this form can be requested by contacting Carrier-Cargo@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca. Please note that a Power of Attorney in a slightly different format but covering the same issues/authorities may be accepted by the CBSA.
- The Power of Attorney must be signed by an authorized officer representing the Principal. The authorized officer must have legal signing authority and can include: Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO), President, Vice-President, Owner, Partner, Secretary Treasurer, Executive Director, Director, or a similar highest ranking official. In the case of a sole proprietorship, only the owner may sign. A certified copy of the by-laws authorizing other officers to sign on behalf of the company shall be required and verified.
- The document must be signed and sealed by a commissioner of oaths.
- The CBSA will accept a duplicate or facsimile copy or electronic reproduction of the original Power of Attorney.
- The signing requirements for the bond will remain the same as they are today for the principal. The signature must be from the Owner, President Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Executive Director or a similar highest ranking official.
- The Power of Attorney document must be in one of Canada’s official languages –- English or French.
Mail the completed application, power of attorney and original bond (if applicable), as well as supporting documentation (if required) to the CBSA at:
Commercial Registration Unit
Canada Border Services Agency
191 Laurier Avenue West, 12th Floor
Ottawa, ON K1A 0L8
- Date modified: