Amendments to the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff
Customs Notice 21-01
1. This notice is to advise of amendments made for the purpose of improving the clarity of Canada’s import monitoring regime with respect to steel products in the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff (Tariff) now available on the CBSA website.
2. The 2021-2 Tariff reflects changes, additions and deletions to preambles and classification numbers provided by Statistics Canada in Chapters 72 and 73, effective .
3. The changes to the preambles and classification numbers are identified in the PDF version of the Tariff on the CBSA website by a change bar in the left margin. Please note that there are no change bar indicators in the HTML version. For the Access files, the changes are indicated with the number 1 in the change column.
4. All changes will be active in the Customs Commercial System (CCS) beginning .
5. A concordance table at the 10-digit level prepared by Statistics Canada is provided on the CBSA website for your convenience.
6. For certainty regarding the tariff classification of a product, importers may request an advance ruling on tariff classification. Details on how to make such a request can be found in CBSA Memorandum D11-11-3 - Advance Rulings for Tariff Classification, available on the CBSA website.
7. Importers who are in possession of a tariff classification advance ruling should review the changes in the Tariff Amendment T2021-2 to determine if the tariff classification number of the goods under their existing ruling is still valid. Where the tariff classification of a good under a ruling letter is no longer valid, importers may submit a request to the CBSA office where the original ruling was issued for an affirmation of the ruling. Should the Advance Ruling no longer be valid, a modified ruling will be issued by the CBSA confirming the correct tariff classification number.
8. For more information, call the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS):
Calls within Canada & the United States (toll free): 1-800-461-9999
Calls outside Canada & the United States (long distance charges apply): 1-204-983-3500 or 1-506-636-5064
Or contact us online: Client support contact form
Still need help?
- Date modified: