Other Government Departments and Agencies:
Reference List for Importers

This document is also available in PDF (244 Kb) [help with PDF files]

To help ensure that prohibited and controlled goods are not illegally imported into Canada, the Canada Border Services Agency assists other federal government departments and agencies by administering and enforcing legislation and regulations on their behalf. Inquiries about these importing regulations should be directed to the relevant department or agency. Below is a list of some of the most commonly imported commodities that may require permits and/or certificates from other federal government departments and agencies.

Government Department/Agency Web Address, Telephone Number Commodities/Area of Responsibility
Canadian Firearms Program www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Canada Post www.canadapost.ca
Certain items cannot be imported by mail, e.g. perfumes, perishable items, flammable liquids, replica or inert munitions.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency www.inspection.gc.ca
Food, plants, animals (terrestrial and aquatic) and related products
Food labelling and food recalls
Wood packaging
International waste and used machinery/equipment
Canadian Heritage www.canadianheritage.gc.ca
Cultural property
Canadian Nuclear Safety
Nuclear material, equipment and technology
Nuclear-related, dual-use material, equipment and technology
Radiation emitting devices
Competition Bureau www.competitionbureau.gc.ca
Clothing labels
Marking of precious metals
Packaging and labelling of non-food products
Controlled Goods Program dmc-cgd@tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca
Goods and technologies that have military or national security significance
Environment and Climate Change Canada www.ec.gc.ca
Endangered or threatened species of plants and animals
Hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable material
Ozone-depleting substances (ODS) and products containing ODS
Wild animal and plant trade
Fisheries and Oceans Canada www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Aquatic invasive species
Illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing
Global Affairs Canada www.international.gc.ca
Agricultural products, firearms, goods under trade embargoes, steel, textiles and clothing
Health Canada www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Consumer goods, drugs, food, medical devices, natural health products, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, radiation-emitting devices, toxic substances, vitamins
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada www.ic.gc.ca
Radio communications
Telecommunications equipment
National Energy Board www.neb.gc.ca
Butane, ethane, electricity, gas, oil, propane
Natural Resources Canada www.nrcan.gc.ca  
343-292-6096 NRCan General Inquiries
613-948-5200 Explosives including fireworks and ammunition
1-866-539-0766 Diamonds only (Kimberley Process Office)
(Energy Efficiency)
Regulated energy-using products
Public Health Agency of Canada www.publichealth.gc.ca
613-948-7988 Bodies and body parts
613-957-1779 Human pathogens
1-800-545-7661 Emergency Number
Transport Canada www.tc.gc.ca
Transportation of dangerous goods
Vehicles and tires

For more information, within Canada call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 –16:00 local time, except holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.

Date modified: