1. This notice is for the attention of participants in the Canada Border Services Agency’s (CBSA) Courier Low Value Shipment (CLVS) Program.
2. The CBSA in consultation with Health Canada (HC) has agreed to allow casual importations of cosmetics to be processed through the CLVS Program providing the importation is for personal use only and not for resale in Canada.
3. Personal importations of energy-using products are not regulated by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan); therefore, they may be processed through the CLVS Program.
4. In accordance with the Cosmetic Regulations under the Food and Drugs Act, cosmetics imported for sale within Canada are subject to specific regulatory requirements, and therefore remain ineligible for the CLVS Program.
5. The Energy Efficiency Regulations apply to energy-using products that are imported into Canada for the purpose of sale or lease, and these goods remain ineligible for the CLVS program.
- Cosmetics: Includes any substance or mixture of substances manufactured, sold or represented for use in cleansing, improving or altering the complexion, skin, hair or teeth, and includes deodorants and perfumes as outlined in Memorandum D19-9-1, The Administration of Health Canada Acts and Regulations Relating to Certain Controlled, Prohibited or Regulated Goods.
- Energy-using products: For definitions and detailed description of the regulated energy-using products please refer to section 1 of the Energy Efficiency Regulations.
- Casual goods: Means any goods imported into Canada other than goods imported for sale or for any commercial, industrial, occupation, institutional or other like use as outlined in Memorandum D17-4-0, Courier Low Value Shipment Program.
6. For additional information on the import requirements for cosmetics please refer to Memorandum D19-9-1, The Administration of Health Canada Acts and Regulations Relating to Certain Controlled, Prohibited or Regulated Goods
7.For additional information on the import requirements for energy-using products please refer to Memorandum D19-6-3, Importation of Energy-using Products.
8. CLVS participants must adhere to this policy by ensuring that cosmetics and/or energy-using products are ONLY imported through the courier stream as a casual importation if they are for personal use.
9. Complete, accurate and true description of the cosmetic and/or energy-using products must be included on the consist sheet.
10. For more information, please contact the Border Information Service (BIS) line.
- Date modified: