Administrative Monetary Penalty System
Person (carrier) failed to provide a cargo control number in a bar-coded format or in the case of a Customs Self Assessment (CSA) shipment, the required data elements.
|1st||$150 Footnote *|
|3rd and subsequent||$450|
- Penalty basis
- Per conveyance
- Retention period
- 12 months
Non-compliance occurs when the carrier fails to provide a bar coded cargo control number when reporting goods to the CBSA.
In the case of a Highway CSA participant submitting paper documents (Service Option 497), non-compliance occurs when the CSA transporter does not provide the following CSA data elements in a bar-coded format:
- CSA importer Business Number (BN),
- CSA carrier code,
- Secondary CSA carrier code when applicable.
If a complete Transport Document Number is provided, it must be bar coded as well.
Applied against the carrier or the transporter.
This penalty does not apply in the following situations:
- Unreadable bar codes
- The carrier must be advised that his bar codes are unreadable. The cargo control number must be input manually. Refer to D3-1-1, Appendix H for bar code specifications and testing procedures. (Contravention C005 is not applicable in these circumstances.)
- For CSA participants
- C008 does not apply in situations where the business number or carrier code provided is invalid (i.e. not CSA approved). In these situations, CSA clearance will be denied for the shipment and a non-CSA service option will be used.
- Failed PARS
- A failed Pre-Arrival Release System (PARS) is replaced by a handwritten or typed cargo control document (CCD) using the cargo control number of the original PARS document.
- Alternatively, carriers may use their pre-printed CCDs and cross out the existing bar coded CCN and show the CCN of the failed PARS in the "Previous cargo control number" field.
- In both cases, the wording "Failed PARS" must be written on the CCD to clarify why a bar code is not being used.
- Where the Commercial Driver Registration Program (CDRP) or Fast and Secure Trade (FAST) barcode is not presented (i.e. driver forgot registration card), the information will be inputted manually. C008 does not apply.
Bar coded cargo control numbers are not required for:
- Shipments being abstracted by a broker or sole importer for release purposes
- Goods moving in-transit on a "Canada - US In transit manifest"
- Air (AXX- or IATA assigned code)
- Rail (6000 series)
- Marine (9000 series)
- Mail (E14 series)
Apply a penalty per conveyance regardless of the number of shipments.
When a bonded carrier fails to use his authorized bonded carrier code or fails to present a letter of authorization when using another bonded carrier's code, see C371.
- D3-1-1, Policy Respecting the Importation and Transportation of Goods
- D23-2-1, Customs Self-Assessment Program for Carriers
- D17-1-10, Coding of Customs Accounting Documents
- D23-2-1, Customs Self-Assessment Program for Importers
- CSA Participants Requirements Documents
- Date modified: