BSF386 - Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC) Permit

A link to the Portable Document Format (PDF) of this form is provided below. The content of the form is duplicated in HTML following the PDF link.

PDF (1.47 Mb) [help with PDF files]

The RABC permit is valid for the following remote areas:

The RABC (Remote Area Border Crossing) permit, allows the bearer to cross the Border into Canada at the above remote areas without reporting to a port of entry, as long as imported goods are declared.

Who is eligible to apply for a RABC permit?

Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, United States citizens and permanent residents of the United States are eligible to apply for a RABC permit.

United States citizens and permanent residents must meet normal visitor legislative requirements, as described under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), that is, be in good health, be law abiding and have sufficient funds for their stay in Canada. For more information on Immigration requirements for visitors to Canada, please consult the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Web site at

Applicants may not qualify for a permit if they have been previously charged with a contravention of Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) or Immigration legislation; have criminal convictions for which there has not been a pardon or, if they have provided false or incomplete information on the RABC permit application.

Program conditions:

How to apply for a Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC) permit

Supporting Documentation

Primary documentation:

Secondary documentation:

Processing fee

By mail:

In person at a CBSA office:

Qualifying family members

Expiry date information

RABC permits are valid for one year from the date of issue.

Credit Card Authorization (mandatory if applying by mail)

I agree to pay the Receiver General for Canada on my credit card the RABC processing fee.

Application for Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC) permit

Protected B when completed

Please note that false statements regarding the following questions may result in the refusal of the RABC permit and that the CAN $30 processing fee will NOT be refunded.

Have you, or any of your dependents to be included on the RABC permit, ever been convicted of one of the following offences for which you/they have not been pardoned:

If the answer is "Yes" to any of the questions, please provide details (type of conviction, date of conviction):

What is the purpose of your trip? (for non-residents of Canada only)

If you are coming to "work" or "other", please explain:

Please list all dependents that may come to Canada in the next year.

I wish to have the following family members (spouse, children under the age of 18) included on my RABC permit (attach a separate sheet if necessary).

I certify that all information given on this application, and in support of this application, was provided voluntarily and is true and complete.

I understand that any information on this application (except for credit card information), any supporting documents, and any background information may be shared among CBSA authorities and among law enforcement and other government agencies in accordance with applicable laws.  I certify that I have read, understood, and that I agree to abide by all conditions required for the use of the program, including all instructions and notices accompanying this application.

Note: The information provided on this form will be stored in PIB#EIC/P-PU-115 and will be used to determine your eligibility to participate in this program. It is protected by the Privacy Act and you may request access to it any time.

Where to apply for a Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC) permit

By mail (preferred method)

At least 4-6 weeks in advance of your trip, mail the completed application and PHOTOCOPIES of the supporting documentation to:

Canada Border Services Agency
RABC Processing Centre
201 North May Street, 1st Floor
Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada P7C 3P4
Telephone: 807-624-2162
Toll-Free 1-877-854-7222

You will receive a response by mail, unless an interview is deemed necessary. You MUST have a copy of your RABC permit on your person when travelling.

In person

The completed application and supporting documentation can be presented to a Border Services Officer at one of the following Canada Border Services Agency offices:

Canada Border Services Agency
RABC Processing Centre
201 North May Street, 1st Floor
Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada P7C 3P4

When applying in person, a decision will be provided while you wait, or mailed to you within 48 hours. Waiting times at ports of entry may vary. During peak travel times, line-ups can result in significant delays.


Please take a minute to review your application and complete this checklist.

Have you remembered to:

Date modified: