1. This notice is to advise interested parties that the Government of Canada has introduced an Order In Council implementing changes to the Firearms Act. These changes were included in Bill C-71 An Act to amend certain Acts and Regulations in relation to firearms. The amendments relate to the Authorization to Transport (ATT) for restricted and/or prohibited firearms. The new requirements will come into force on July 7, 2021.
2. Currently Canadian residents returning to their province of residence with restricted and/or prohibited firearms present a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) as their ATT. As of July 7 2021, the PAL can no longer be used as an ATT for the transporting of firearms to and from a port of entry/exit.
3. Residents will be required to apply for and obtain a valid ATT (PDF, 328 Kb) issued by the Chief Firearms Officer of their province or territory of residence when planning to import or export their restricted or prohibited firearms. They will now need to present and/or submit a paper ATT to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). All other ATT requirements for residents relating to import/export remain the same.
4. If a resident does not present an ATT, they may have the option of exporting or abandoning the firearm or having it held by the CBSA for a prescribed period of time while they obtain the required ATT. Additional information can be found in CBSA D Memorandum D19-13-2 Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices.
5. There have been no changes to the ATT requirements for non-residents.
6. The changes to the ATT requirements does not affect commercial importations.
For further information regarding these changes, please contact:
Program and Policy Management Division
Other Government Department Programs Unit
Canada Border Services Agency
The CBSA’s policy on the importation of restricted and prohibited firearms requiring an ATT, is available in the CBSA D Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices, and will be revised to reflect the change to the regulations of the authorization to transport.
- Date modified: