1. The purpose of this notice is to advise that different format files for the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff (Tariff) are now available on the Customs Tariff page of the CBSA website.
2. The 2021 Tariff reflects Statistics Canada changes to units of measures of classification numbers in Chapters 72 and 73 from TNE (tonne) to KGM (kilogram). Scheduled rate reductions contained within the legislation of individual free trade agreements are also reflected.
3. The changes to the tariff items and classification numbers are identified in the PDF version of the Tariff on the CBSA website by a change bar in the left margin. Please note that there are no change bar indicators in the HTML version. For the Access files, the changes are indicated with the number 1 in the change column.
4. All changes will be active in the Customs Commercial System (CCS) beginning .
5. For certainty regarding the tariff classification of a product, importers may request an advance ruling for tariff classification. Details on submitting a request for an advance ruling can be found in the Memorandum D11-11-3, Advance Rulings for Tariff Classification.
6. Importers who are in possession of a tariff classification advance ruling should review the changes in Tariff Amendment T2021 to determine if the tariff classification number of the goods under their existing ruling is still valid. Where the tariff classification of a good under a ruling letter is no longer valid, importers may submit a request to the CBSA office where the original ruling was issued for an affirmation of the ruling. Should the Advance Ruling no longer be valid, a modified ruling will be issued by the CBSA confirming the correct tariff classification number.
7. For more information, call the Border Information Service (BIS) at 1-800-461-9999 (accessible within Canada and the United States). If calling outside Canada and the United States, call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Our automated telephony service provides general information in English and French on CBSA programs, services and initiatives through recorded scripts. Live agents are also available to assist you from 6 am to 10 pm (eastern daylight time), 7 days a week. TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237. Alternatively, you may send your enquiries to the following address: email@example.com.
- Date modified: