1. This notice is to advise interested parties that on May 1, 2020, the Government of Canada announced the Regulations Amending the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted (PDF) that re-classify certain firearms as prohibited firearms.
Note: Many firearms that were once classified as non-restricted or restricted are now re-classified as prohibited firearms.
2. The amendments prescribe the following firearms and their variants as “prohibited firearms”:
- M16, M4, AR-10, AR-15 rifles
- Ruger Mini-14 rifle
- Vz58 rifle
- M14 rifle
- Beretta CX4 Storm carbine
- Robinson Armament XCR rifle
- CZ Scorpion EVO 3 carbine and pistol
- SIG Sauer SIG MCX and SIG Sauer SIG MPX carbine and pistol
- Swiss Arms Classic Green and Four Seasons series
In addition, firearms with one or more of the following physical characteristics are re-classified as prohibited:
- Firearms with a bore 20mm or greater (e.g., grenade launchers)
Note: In accordance with guidance provided by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)’s Canadian Firearms Program (CFP), the nominal (i.e. standard) bore diameter measurements for 10 gauge and 12 gauge shotguns are below the 20mm threshold (19.69mm for 10ga, 18.42mm for 12ga) and, therefore, are not subject to the Government of Canada’s new restrictions on firearms. See: Update on 10 and 12 gauge shotgun classification under the new prohibition.
- Firearms capable of discharging a projectile with a muzzle energy greater than 10,000 Joules (e.g., .50 BMG caliber firearms)
The Regulations also prescribe the upper receivers of M16, AR-10, AR-15 and M4 pattern firearms to be prohibited devices.
3. A complete list of firearms now classified as prohibited can be found in the Regulations Amending the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted (PDF).
4. Please be advised that the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will immediately begin prohibiting the importation of all firearms that are listed in the Regulations by individuals or businesses, unless an exemption is met.
5. When a resident declares a firearm or device that was newly acquired or previously exported from Canada prior to the announcement and is now considered prohibited, the resident has the option of abandoning or exporting the firearm.
6. The actions outlined above for residents also apply to Indigenous group members and sustenance hunters.
7. Non-residents cannot import prohibited firearms including the newly prohibited firearms and devices. The non-resident will be offered the option to export or abandon the firearm.
8. A business, including motion picture, television, or theatrical companies, may only import the prohibited firearms and devices if they have a prescribed purpose for the importation on their firearms business licence.
9. A business that attempts to import the prohibited firearms and devices that does not hold a firearms business licence with the prescribed purpose for the import of the prohibited firearms or devices may export or abandon the items.
10. A business that chooses to export the firearms or devices must present a firearms business licence and an export permit from Global Affairs Canada. Exports of prohibited firearms are limited to countries found on the Automatic Firearms Country Control List.
11. If the firearms are not declared at the time of importation they may be subject to seizure.
12. The CBSA’s policy on the importation of prohibited firearms is available in Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices. The Memoranda D19-13-2 will be revised to reflect the changes to the importation of the newly prohibited firearms.
13. For further information please contact:
Commercial Programs Directorate
Other Government Department Programs Unit
Canada Border Services Agency
100 Metcalfe Ave, 8th Floor
- Date modified: