Coasting Trade Vessels Leaving Canadian Waters
Customs Notice 18-12

Ottawa, August 1, 2018

1. At present, the Canada Border Services Agency’s (CBSA) policy is to cancel a coasting trade licence when a temporarily imported vessel leaves Canadian waters and goes international, irrespective of the authorized dates the licence was issued for.

2. Commencing on the date of issuance of this Customs Notice, a coasting trade licence will no longer be cancelled by the CBSA when a vessel leaves Canadian waters, unless the vessel has completed the activity for which the licence was issued or if the authorized dates indicated on the licence have passed

3. A new coasting trade licence is not required providing the dates on the existing coasting trade licence remain valid.

4. Vessels in the coasting trade, are permitted to move in and out of Canadian waters throughout the duration of the coasting trade licence authorized dates. However, coasting trade vessels leaving Canadian waters remain subject to any existing CBSA reporting requirements upon departure and re-entry into Canada. For more information about marine reporting requirements, please see Memorandum D3-5-1, Marine Pre-load/Pre-arrival and Reporting Requirements.

5. In addition, a new Form B3, Canada Customs Coding Form, is required to account for the duties and taxes on the vessel, as it is being re-imported into Canada.

6. All other permits or certificates must continue to be valid to avoid issues upon re-entry (for example, Transport Canada’s letters of compliance, safety and pollution certificates, etc.).

7. A coasting trade vessel’s final Form A6 outward report should note in the “Remarks” section, field 16 of the Form A6, that it is the final outward report and is cancelling the coasting trade licence. The CBSA office of importation should also be indicated in this field.

8. For more information about the temporary admission of vessels to the coasting trade of Canada, please consult Memorandum D3-5-7, Temporary Importation Vessels, which will be updated to reflect this policy change.

9. Any questions on this Customs Notice are to be sent to

10. For other questions regarding CBSA programs, please contact the CBSA's computerized, 24-hour telephone service (Border Information Service) at 1-800-461-9999, available free of charge throughout Canada; press "0" to speak directly with an agent during regular business hours, Monday to Friday (08:00 to 16:00 local time except holidays). From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064, long distance charges will apply. TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.

Date modified: