1. The purpose of this notice is to inform importers and exporters that the sanctions under the Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolutions on Iran (Iran UN Regulations) were amended on February 5, 2016.
2. Details on the amendments to the Special Economic Measures Act are found in the Regulations Amending the Special Economic Measures (Iran) Regulations (SOR/2016-15) (unofficial version). You can also visit the Global Affairs Canada website to obtain more information.
3. The amendments remove: the blanket prohibition on imports from Iran and exports to Iran (except for goods listed in Schedule 2); prohibitions on the transfer, provision or communication of certain technical data to Iran (except technical data related to goods listed in Schedule 2); broad prohibitions on providing or acquiring financial or other services to or from Iran; the prohibition on making investments in entities in Iran; and the prohibitions related to the provision of services to certain Iranian vessels. They also modify the list of individuals and entities in Schedule 1.
4. Canada also continues to restrict the export to Iran a wide range of sensitive products listed on the Export Control List, under the Export and Import Permits Act. Please see Notice to Exporters Serial No. 196 for further information.
5. The Canada Border Services Agency assists Global Affairs Canada with the administration of the United Nations Act, the Special Economic Measures Act, the Export and Import Permits Act and associated Regulations.
6. For more information, within Canada, call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 – 16:00 local time / except statutory holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.
- Date modified: