— If you are a broker or importer, there are important changes to our payment systems you need to know about. Find out more.
This section provides existing and potential electronic commerce clients with the necessary information, documents and tools required to effectively transmit commercial electronic data to the CBSA.
Clients using the CBSA's electronic data interchange (EDI) systems can electronically transmit their import or export data and their accounting documents to the CBSA. These systems help the CBSA to quickly process low-risk goods, which allows the CBSA to focus resources on identifying potential threats to Canada's safety and security.
- Overview: EDI Applications
Descriptions and uses of the various applications
- Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document (ECCRD)
Manuals that provide technical details for EDI applications
Becoming an EDI Client
Step-by-step instructions on how to become an EDI client.
- Communication methods
Available methods of transmitting electronic data to CBSA.
- Software/service providers lists
Lists of registered software and service suppliers that sell and support the required software for EDI applications.
Documents for existing EDI clients
- Frequently-Asked Questions
A compilation of the most asked EDI questions, including suggestions of ways to resolve the problems.
- Customs Tariff
Complete list of Harmonized System Codes
- CADEX-Formatted Customs Tariff
Customs Tariff files for CADEX clients.
- Sub-location codes
List of warehouse codes for the ACROSS System.
- Exceptions Lead Sheet [ HTML ] [ PDF, 60 KB ]
As per Memorandum D17-1-4, all release requests must be presented electronically (EDI). If it falls under one of the exceptions enumerated in the same D-memo, this sheet must accompany the paper release request.
- Contact list
- Scheduled maintenance outages and holiday table
List of scheduled outages and holidays for the following year.
- Error Codes [ CSV, 3 MB ] [ PDF, 1 MB ] [help with document formats] List of all error codes for ACROSS including electronic release, Advance Commercial Information (marine, air and rail) and Customs Self Assessment program.
The EDI Hotline
To assist clients with technical issues or problems relating to the exchange of data with the CBSA, the EDI Hotline is available.
The EDI Hotline supports several thousand clients who use the CBSA's commercial EDI systems. These clients include importers, customs brokers, warehouse operators, carriers and couriers.
- How the EDI Hotline works
- TCCU Client service offered within regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:00 to 17:00, North American Eastern time)
- TCCU Client service offered outside of regular business hours
- Information required when calling the EDI hotline
Detailed list of information you need to provide
- General procedures to follow during system outages/interruptions:
Information on the release procedures to follow when a system outage occurs is available here. These procedures apply in all modes.
- The Technical Commercial Client Unit (TCCU) of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) sends messages via e-mail to clients advising them of system outages, as well as holidays, exchange rates, tariff updates, interest rates, etc.
If you would like to receive these messages, you can sign up to this group. E-mail email@example.com and request to be added.
Note: E-mails are only sent during regular business hours ET. For updates outside of normal hours, please feel free to call the Technical Commercial Client Unit (TCCU) hotline at 1-888-957-7224. Clients who are already registered to receive e-mail notifications from the Technical Commercial Client Unit need not re-register.
If you have questions about commercial EDI transactions, please contact the Technical Commercial Client Unit:
Technical Commercial Client Unit
Canada Border Services Agency
355 North River Road, 6th Floor, Tower B
Ottawa ON K1A 0L8
1-888-957-7224, Option 1 for EDI transactions / Option 2 for Technical Portal Assistance (calls within Canada and the United States)
613-946-0762 (overseas callers)
- Date modified: