Language selection


COVID-19: Canadians, Indigenous peoples and permanent residents

Exemptions ending for certain travellers entering Canada

Effective , some foreign national travellers who were previously allowed to enter Canada without being fully vaccinated will now be required to be fully vaccinated in order to enter Canada. There will also be changes to testing and quarantine exemptions for certain travellers, regardless of citizenship, entering Canada.

Find out if you can enter Canada

COVID-19: Global travel advisory

Effective : Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada, regardless of your vaccination status. Omicron travel health notice

Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act and permanent residents continue to enter Canada by right, and are subject to COVID-19 measures.

Current border measures in place

Fully vaccinated travellers

Canadians, permanent residents, and persons registered under the Indian Act should be aware that some public health measures continue to apply upon their return to Canada, regardless of their vaccination status.

Visit the vaccinated travellers entering Canada for more information.

Travellers who do not qualify as fully vaccinated

There are no changes to public health requirements for travellers who are not fully vaccinated. They must:

More information

Travelling outside of Canada

If you must travel, you should be fully vaccinated by completing a COVID-19 Health Canada approved vaccine series at least 15 days before travelling. Anyone who is unvaccinated should continue to avoid non-essential travel to all destinations.

Regardless of your vaccination status, you should stay informed of COVID-19 activity at your destination. Protect yourself from exposure by wearing a mask, washing your hands and maintaining physical distancing where possible.

Entry and exit requirements

Most countries have special entry and exit requirements due to COVID-19. Before travelling, confirm what these are in both your place of departure and your destination. Consider your transit points, as transit rules are in place in many destinations. This could disrupt your travel.

Consult Travel Advice and Advisories for the latest guidance on travel to specific countries.

Travel to the United States

For specific questions about United States (U.S.) entry and health requirements, contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Foreign national family members and loved ones

If your foreign national family members and loved ones wish to travel to Canada, please consult.

Temporary import of U.S.-plated vehicles into Canada

If you entered Canada with a U.S.-plated vehicle before 11:59 pm ET on , you do not have to take steps to either permanently import that vehicle or export it. Until further notice, you are exempt from the 60-day condition on the temporary import of U.S.-plated vehicles. A new deadline will be set in the future.

If you returned to Canada at or after 12 am ET on , you are not entitled to this same exemption. After a maximum of 30 days, you must either pay duty and taxes on U.S.-plated vehicles to permanently import them or export them.

Extensions may apply in exceptional circumstances, as specified in the Temporary Importation of Conveyances by Residents of Canada Regulations.

More information

Importing goods by mail

The CBSA has implemented protective measures for all CBSA staff, including social distancing protocols and the use of personal protective equipment.

With mail volume increasing significantly across Canada, there may be delays at the 3 international mail centres. You may track your mail items via the Canada Post website. The CBSA is unable to provide information on the status of mail items.

We thank you for your patience as we continue to work closely with Canada Post to process international mail without compromising the health, safety and security of Canadians.

More information

Related links

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date modified: