The CBSA uses the Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation (PARE) to assess your ability to perform physically demanding "use of force training." You must complete it in 4:45 min or less.
With proper preparation we find most applicants can achieve the standard, especially if they are already maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle. There is no waiting period to attempt the PARE again if you are not successful.
Specific instruction(s) for each station will be provided to participants by test administrators. The test is made up of three stations. The first two are timed and the third is pass-fail.
Station 1 – obstacle course
This 340-metre (1,116 foot) course involves running six (6) laps of the station with directional changes, jumps, stairs, hurdles, vaults, as well a controlled fall at the end of each lap.
Potential penalties at this station
You will incur time penalties if you:
- do not fully clear the mat (5 seconds)
- knock down/improperly jump over the hurdle (2 seconds)
You will need to redo a portion of the test if you:
- fail to go around a marker/cone
- do not land in a controlled manner after the vault
- use the vault to lower themselves to the mat
- use the mat or the vault to raise themselves after the controlled fall
- improperly perform a controlled fall
The test will be terminated if you:
- cannot go over the vault
- do not follow the administrator's instructions on how to run up and down the stairs
Station 2 – push/pull machine
At this station you will need to do two separate tasks on a push/pull machine, called arcs, as well as several controlled falls.
- Lift and push a 32-kilogram (70 pound) weight off the base of the machine while performing six (6) 180-degree arcs.
- Lift and pull a 32-kilogram (70 pound) weight off the base of the machine while performing six (6) 180-degree arcs.
- Perform four (4) controlled falls (two (2) forwards and two (2) backwards), in between each task.
Potential penalties at this station
You will need to redo an arc if you:
- drop the weight in the middle of an arc
- do not complete a full 180-degree arc
- push off the wall
- lock or brace their elbows during the push activity
- do not use the proper pull position
You will need to redo a fall if you:
- do not use the proper controlled fall technique
- are not properly positioned during the standing 'ready' position
- do not tap the handle between falls
- use assistance to get up or down between falls
With the exception of dropping the weight or not completing an arc, you will be allowed one (1) warning before being penalized and asked to redo the task.
Once this station is done, the timed portion of the PARE is over.
Station 3 – weight carry
You must start this activity within two (2) minutes of completing the push/pull station.
At this station you will need to lift and carry a 36-kilogram (80 pound) bag over a 15 metre (50 foot) distance. This station is pass-fail and is not timed.
You can wrap your arms around the bag or grasp the excess material to lift it. The bag must be carried in a controlled manner in front of you and not over your shoulders or resting on your thighs while walking.
After completing the 15 metre (50 foot) distance, you must lower the bag in a controlled manner.
Potential penalties for this station
You will be asked to repeat the task if you:
- are unable to lift the bag
- drop the bag during the carry
- do not carry the bag properly
- do not lower the bag properly at the end of the carry
You will be given a maximum of three attempts to complete this station.
- Date modified: