Apply for a security screening: Step 1. Who must apply
You must obtain a valid security screening in order to be considered for employment with the Government of Canada. Security screening is for:
- all applicants and current employees of the CBSA (permanent, term, casual, part-time and students)
- individuals requiring unescorted access to CBSA facilities
- government employees seconded or assigned to the CBSA
- other government department employees requiring access to CBSA information, assets or facilities
- other government departments utilizing CBSA’s security screening services
Note: if you are applying to the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP), please refer to our application information for border service officers instead of the information on this page.
When to apply
Submit a security screening application form if you are:
- applying to work at the CBSA or applying to work for another government department utilizing CBSA’s security screening services
- updating or upgrading your status or clearance
- transferring your status or clearance from another department
- re-activating your status or clearance upon returning to work at the CBSA or returning to work at another government department utilizing CBSA’s security screening services
- an employee from another government department requiring access to CBSA information, assets or facilities
- providing supplemental information (change in marital or common-law status, name change)
Levels of security screening
Reliability status is for access to protected information and assets, and to operations zones. It is the minimum security status and is valid for 10 years.
Secret and top secret security clearance is for access to classified information and assets, and to security zones. Secret clearance is valid for 10 years. Top secret clearance is valid for 5 years. Top secret is the highest clearance.
Before you apply, a hiring official will send you an email that confirms:
- which status or clearance to apply for
- the type of request (new, supplemental, transfer, update or upgrade)
- Date modified: