Ottawa, May 09, 2014
This document is also available in PDF 48 Kb) [help with PDF files]
- The editing revisions made in this memorandum do not affect or change any of the existing policies or procedures.
This memorandum explains the administrative policy of the Canada Border Services Agency regarding the tariff classification of textile shells used in the manufacture of articles of subheading 9404.90.
63.07 Other made up articles, including dress patterns.
6307.90 - Other
6307.90.50 00 - - - Shells for use in the manufacture of articles of subheading 9404.90
Guidelines and General Information
1. "Shells" are articles of textile that are used in the manufacture of articles of subheading 9404.90. The shells, which are sometime called "casings", are first filled with either feathers, down, wool, silk, or a synthetic fibre and then finished, for example, as duvets, comforters, cushions, or pillows.
2. The tariff item does not include finished products, such as pillowcases of heading 63.02 or cushion covers (shams) of heading 63.04.
3. Textile shells are properly classified under tariff item 6307.90.50 (Shells for use in the manufacture of articles of subheading 9404.90).
4. For certainty regarding the tariff classification of a particular good, importers may request an advance ruling. Details on how to make such a request are found in CBSA Memorandum D11-11-3, Advance Rulings for Tariff Classification.
5. For more information, within Canada call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 – 16:00 local time/except holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.
- Issuing office:
- Trade and Anti-dumping Programs Directorate
- Headquarters file:
- Legislative references:
- Customs Tariff
- Other references:
- Superseded memorandum D:
- D10-14-60 dated December 14, 2011
- Date modified: