Customs Notice 23-05: Amendments to the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff: Statistical Changes
1. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) wishes to advise of amendments to the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff (Tariff).
2. The 2023-3 Tariff reflects a change to the description of 1905.90.71.10, as well as a new statistical note in Chapter 97 and statistical breaks (9706.10.00.10 and 9706.90.00.10), effective .
3. The new statistical note and breaks in chapter 97 were created to distinguish the importation of antique firearms from those not meeting the requirements of the Canadian Criminal Code.
4. The changes are identified in the PDF version of the Tariff by a change bar in the left margin. Please note that there are no change bar indicators in the HTML version. For the Access files, the changes are indicated with the number 1 in the change column.
5. Due to system limitations, all changes will be active in the downstream applications, such as TRAS and ACROSS, at a later date. A new Customs Notice will be published to advise when the changes will be effective.
6. For certainty regarding the tariff classification, origin or value for duty of a product, importers may request a ruling. Details on submitting a request for a ruling can be found in the Memorandum D11-11-3, Advance Rulings for Tariff Classification, Memorandum D11-11-1, National Customs Rulings (NCR), or Memorandum D11-4-16 Advance rulings for origin under Free Trade Agreements.
7. Importers who are in possession of a tariff classification advance ruling should review the changes in Tariff Amendment T2023-3 to determine if the tariff classification number of the goods under their existing ruling is still valid. Where the tariff classification of a good under a ruling letter is no longer valid, importers may submit a request to the CBSA office where the original ruling was issued for an affirmation of the ruling. Should the Advance Ruling no longer be valid, a modified ruling will be issued by the CBSA confirming the correct tariff classification number.
8. For more information, contact the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS):
Calls within Canada & the United States (toll free): 1-800-461-9999
Calls outside Canada & the United States (long distance charges apply):
1-204-983-3550 or 1-506-636-5064
Contact Us online (webform)
Contact Us at the CBSA website may also be accessed for information.
Report a problem on this page
This email is to report problems or inaccuracies on a page. Spam and comments containing offensive language will be reported or deleted. For help with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) programs or services, contact border information services.Report a problem by email
- Date modified: