Language selection


Declare your travel information at an airport kiosk or eGate: Who is eligible

The Canada Border Services Agency requests that wherever kiosks and eGates are available, travellers should use them to make their declarations. This includes returning residents and foreign nationals, with some exceptions.

If you need a stamp in your passport as proof of entry into Canada, request a stamp from a border services officer after completing the kiosk or the eGate transaction.

Passport-stamping alternative

Foreign nationals can stay in Canada for up to 6 months from the day they first enter Canada, or until their passport expires, whichever comes first.

A border services officer may authorize a period of stay of some other duration, either more or less than 6 months (such as in the case of family members with super visas). In these cases, the officer may issue you a document and should stamp your passport indicating the date by which you must leave Canada.

Who is eligible to use an eGate

  • Travellers aged 16 and over may use an eGate
  • eGates are better suited for individual travellers or small groups of travellers aged 16 and over who are comfortable completing their eGate session independently

Who is eligible to use a kiosk

  • If you are travelling with children under the age of 16, you must use a Primary Inspection Kiosk
  • Kiosks are better suited for travellers who wish to be processed as a group using one machine or if the travellers require additional time or space to complete their session

Who should not use the kiosks and eGates

  • NEXUS members should continue to use dedicated NEXUS kiosks and NEXUS eGates for expedited processing. If a dedicated NEXUS lane is unavailable, NEXUS travellers can opt to use a passport for regular processing at a primary inspection kiosk or eGate
  • Foreign representatives (diplomats) and their families should continue to use the special services counter for in-person processing

Who cannot use the kiosks and eGates

The following types of travellers must see a border services officer for in-person processing:

  • Travellers with a non-machine-readable travel document
  • Travellers with a travel document other than a passport or a Canadian Permanent Resident card
  • Unaccompanied children under 16 years of age
  • Refugee claimants

Kiosks and eGates are fully accessible in compliance with Canadian standards. Travellers requiring additional support or who are unable to complete their kiosk or eGate session may proceed to a border services officer for in-person processing.

Date modified: