Submit your customs and immigration information before flying into Canada
From: Canada Border Services Agency
Preparing your customs and immigration declaration for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) in advance will simplify your arrival experience at our busiest airports. Use Advance CBSA Declaration within ArriveCAN the next time you fly.
Advance CBSA Declaration is part of Traveller Modernization, a CBSA initiative that is improving and expediting traveller processing using new digital tools and technologies.
On this page
Why submit in advance
Using the Advance CBSA Declaration feature within ArriveCAN lets you make a customs and immigration declaration up to 72 hours in advance of flying into Canada, giving you a faster border experience. Submitting your declaration in advance will save you time when you arrive at the airport.
Find out more about ArriveCAN.
Who can use Advance CBSA Declaration
The Advance CBSA Declaration feature is an optional feature built into ArriveCAN. It is currently available to international air travellers who enter Canada at:
- Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) Terminals 1 and 3
- Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Montreal-Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
- Winnipeg Richardson International Airport (YWG)
- Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
In the coming months, the optional feature will also become available to travellers arriving at the Calgary, Edmonton, Billy Bishop Toronto City, Ottawa and Québec City international airports.
Note: At this time, travellers cannot use the Advance CBSA Declaration with NEXUS kiosks.
How it works
After entering your travel information in ArriveCAN, follow the prompt on your receipt page. To submit an Advance CBSA Declaration for yourself or your group before your trip, you must:
- confirm travel document information (passport or Canadian permanent resident card)
- answer the customs and immigration questions truthfully
- send the declaration within 72 hours of arriving in Canada
You will receive confirmation of your Advance CBSA Declaration, including your reference number, by email.
When your flight lands:
- scan your travel document(s) at the airport kiosk or eGate where available (note a maximum of 5 travellers can use one kiosk at a time, and one traveller can use one eGate at a time – travellers using eGates must be 16 years of age or more)
- the kiosk/eGate will retrieve your declaration information
- review and edit your declaration (if required) then submit your final declaration to the CBSA
- take the kiosk or eGate receipt to a border services officer for further processing
Advance CBSA Declaration form
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: