Language selection


Information for international students

ISBN 978-0-660-45088-9

This document is also available in PDF (592 KB) [help with PDF files]

Preparing for your travel to Canada


Before travelling, ensure that you are eligible to enter and that you possess all necessary documentation. To be able to enter Canada as a student, you must:

You are encouraged to travel to Canada as early as possible after you receive your documents, to avoid the heavily congested travel period in late August and early September.

Documentation requirements

If you have applied for a study permit (and work permit, if applicable) and have not yet received your visa and/or letter of introduction, do not travel to Canada until you have received these documents. Be sure to review all your documentation and ensure your information is correct before travelling. If not, please contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Have in your possession all of the documentary requirements before you travel to Canada. Do not place any of these documents in your checked luggage.

To enter Canada, you must:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport
  • have the port of entry letter of introduction the visa office sent you when they approved your study permit or a valid study permit if it was previously issued
  • have a copy of a valid letter of acceptance from your school
  • have a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), a valid visa, a valid green card (or equivalent official proof of U.S. status) or another valid travel document
  • have proof of funds to support your stay in Canada
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions (unless pardon has been granted or deemed rehabilitated)
  • be in good health and have valid immigration medical exam results, if applicable (find out if you need a medical exam)

If you are not in possession of the documentary requirements, you may experience delays during immigration processing and/or you may be refused entry.

What to expect when you arrive in Canada

When you arrive in Canada, you may experience longer border processing wait times. If you have a connecting flight, make sure you leave yourself enough time for border formalities.

Expect to be referred to an immigration office for the processing of your study permit. Some airports may have a special processing area for international students arriving in Canada. Please watch for any signage that may be directing you to this designated processing area.

Once you receive your study permit, ensure that all information on the permit is correct before leaving the immigration office.

© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, 2022

Catalogue No. PS38-122/2022E-PDF, ISBN No. 978-0-660-45088-9

Report a problem on this page

This email is to report problems or inaccuracies on a page. Spam and comments containing offensive language will be reported or deleted. For help with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) programs or services, contact border information services.

Report a problem by email
Date modified: