Customs Notice 22-16: Notification of the requirement to present a Global Affairs Canada (GAC) import permit for handgun importations
1. This Notice is to advise interested parties of a temporary change in the established procedures for importing handguns.
2. As per the Government of Canada’s Aug 5th, 2022 announcement, under the authority of the Export and Import Permits Act, there will be an introduction of new, temporary import control measures related to restricted handguns. Accordingly, the import of handguns into Canada will require an individual import permit issued by GAC.
3. These restrictions will take effect on August 19th, 2022 and are expected to last until Fall 2022.
4. Please be advised that, as of August 19th, 2022, it will be necessary for Canadian residents and businesses, except those that are exempted as per below, to present a valid import permit issued by GAC to a Border Services Officer (BSO) for restricted handguns being imported into Canada.
5. Importers that are exempt from the requirement to present an import permit when importing handguns into Canada are outlined in the Exemption Regulations (Persons) - Export and Import Permits Act.
6. This requirement applies to Canadian residents and businesses importing handguns in both personal and commercial streams and regardless of the mode of importation.
7. This policy does not impact the temporary importation of handguns by non-residents pursuant to s.35 of the Firearms Act.
8. Please note that commercial firearm shipments must be processed through a paper release service option. The importer is responsible for presenting physical copies of all required permits, licenses, etc. at the time of entry.
9. For information on import controls and permits, including how to apply for an import permit, please refer to GAC’s Import Controls web page.
For further information regarding this temporary measure, please contact:
Export Controls Operations Division (TIE)
Trade and Export Controls Bureau
Global Affairs Canada
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G2
Internet: Export and Import Controls
Program and Policy Management Division
Other Government Department Programs Unit
Canada Border Services Agency
100 Metcalfe Street, 8th Floor
Ottawa, ON K1P 0A7
Report a problem on this page
This email is to report problems or inaccuracies on a page. Spam and comments containing offensive language will be reported or deleted. For help with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) programs or services, contact border information services.Report a problem by email
- Date modified: