Language selection


Remote Area Border Crossing Program

The Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC) Program facilitates the border clearance process for certain travellers who wish to cross the border into Canada in certain remote areas.

Permit holders do not need to physically present themselves at a port of entry. However, they must declare any goods they are bringing into Canada.


Advantages of being a member in the RABC Program:

  • Your RABC permit facilitates your entry into Canada when crossing in select remote areas
  • Exceptionally, all RABC permits issued in the 2022 season will be valid from the date the permit is issued until
  • Permit can be used for you and qualifying family members

Remote areas covered by the program

Eligible travellers can use their RABC permit to cross the Canada‒U.S. border in the following remote areas:

  • Pigeon River through to and including Lake of the Woods
  • the Canadian shore of Lake Superior
  • Cockburn Island
  • Sault Ste. Marie (upper lock system)
  • Northwest Angle Area

Program eligibility

To apply for a RABC Program permit, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the U.S. and must meet all the requirements.

For more information, please visit Who is eligible

Contact us

CBSA Border Information Services

Telephone: 1-800-461-9999
Email: Contact us using our Client support contact form

Date modified: