As a Student Border Services Officer (SBSO) you will work with Border Services Officers (BSO) to determine the admissibility of people and goods to Canada.
SBSOs do not carry a duty firearm, and can work at international airports and mail processing centres in 16 cities across Canada:
- British Columbia: Vancouver, Richmond
- Alberta: Calgary, Edmonton
- Saskatchewan: Saskatoon, Regina
- Manitoba: Winnipeg
- Ontario: Mississauga, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa
- Quebec: Québec City, Montréal, Dorval
- Nova Scotia: Halifax
- Newfoundland: St. John's
Most opportunities are full-time from May until the end of August. Part time re-employment is possible from September to April.
Hourly rates of pay
SBSOs are paid $12.93 to $25.94 per hour, depending on their current level of study. See Rates of Pay for Post-secondary School Students.
Eligibility and experience
To be eligible, you must:
- be a full-time student at a recognized post-secondary institution (CEGEP, college, university, etc);
- be returning to full-time studies in the next academic term; and
- meet the minimum age requirement to work in the province or territory where the job is located.
Preference may be given to students in a field related to the job such as criminology, law, security, law enforcement, psychology, sociology or police studies.
Preference will also be given to Canadian citizens.
Before applying, you must possess a valid driver's license that allows you to drive a motor vehicle (where required).
You must also be willing to:
- Wear and maintain a uniform as per CBSA Uniform Policy and Standard of Appearance.
- Work various shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Work overtime as required.
- Operate a government vehicle (where required).
How to apply
Select "Apply now" on the Student Border Services Officer FSWEP job poster. You will be redirected to the Public Service Commission's login page, where you will need to create an account and complete your application.
If you have any questions about the FSWEP application process, contact email@example.com.
Deadline for applying
There is no deadline for applying. Applicants can apply at any time throughout the year. The CBSA will pull applications as required, but typically in November/December for summer employment.
If you are considered for employment, the CBSA will arrange for you to:
- Obtain a secret security clearance.
- Obtain a Transportation Security Clearance (where required).
- Successfully complete the training associated with the carry, use and maintenance of CBSA-issued defensive equipment (where required).
- Obtain an Occupational Health Assessment Report completed by a physician to confirm your physical ability to perform the duties and required training of a SBSO position.
SBSOs receive a mixture of classroom and online training, as well as coaching on the job.
- Date modified: