Submitting export documents using the Electronic Longroom
The export Electronic Longroom (eLR) is an email and digital stamping service offered at some Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) offices. Exporters and customs services providers can use this service to submit eligible export documents electronically to the CBSA.
On this page
- Eligible submissions
- Non-eligible submissions
- Key requirements for submitting by email
- Exporter contingency form
- Digital stamps
- Locations offering the service
- Related links
If you are an exporter or customs services provider, our export Electronic Longroom (eLR) service allows you to submit certain export documents in a PDF format by e-mail.
We continue to accept paper package submissions in-person at the designated export reporting office located closest to the place of exit of the goods from Canada.
Existing legislation, policies and timeframes continue to apply.
Eligible submissions (may be sent by email)
- Export permits and movement documents, along with the PDF copy of the Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS) declaration or G7-EDI Export Declaration (for exports to countries other than the United States (U.S.), Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands) for:
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC): Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material exportations
- BSF844: Exporter contingency form
Non-eligible submissions (may not be sent by email)
- Regulated exportations requiring hard-copy paper permits:
- Government department permits, licences, certificates not included under Eligible submissions
Key requirements for submitting by email
To ensure smooth processing of your requests:
- use the CBSA email address that matches the specific eLR designated export reporting office
- include all documents, permits, licences and certificates related to your export declaration
- follow the specific instructions and procedures outlined for each designated export reporting office
Hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable material documents
Format your email subject line this way:
EXPORT – ECCC – Permit Number(s) – Movement Document Number(s)
Provide us with the following documents in PDF format:
- the Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS) declaration or G7-EDI export declaration
- when exporting to U.S., include the date of export in the body of your email (you do not have to submit an export declaration)
- the hazardous waste export permit(s)
- the hazardous waste movement document(s)
- Hazardous waste and Hazardous recyclable material documents can only be submitted to the place of exit identified on the permit and Movement Document.
Name the aforesaid PDF CERS or PDF G7-EDI export declaration using the Proof of Report number. For example:
- CERS – AA1234202101011234.pdf
Exporter contingency form
There are two ways to format your subject line:
- EXPORT – System Outages Contingency form
or, if applicable,
- EXPORT – System Outages Contingency form – Permit Number(s) – Movement Document Number(s)
Submissions during systems outages
During a CERS Portal or G7 EDI systems outage, you can email your Exporter contingency form to a participating eLR export reporting office closest to the place of exit of the goods.
We will not accept any Exporter contingency form submissions requiring proof of permits, certificates, or licences outside of those listed in the Eligible submissions section.
Once the outage has been resolved, you must electronically submit (within 24 business hours) all export declarations for shipments processed during the contingency period and correct any electronic messaging errors or rejects.
If required, the CBSA offices will return digitally stamped documentation to you by email to acknowledge or approve your request.
As the secure digital versions of the stamps are different from the physical stamps, the digital stamp is shared here for information purposes.
Locations offering the service
The CBSA Designated Export Reporting Office Directory lists the offices that provide eLR services nationally.
Please consult the directory to locate participating offices, their email addresses and types of services and documents that are accepted at each location.
- The basics of reporting commercial exports
- Guide to exporting commercial goods from Canada
- Exporting requirements checklist for exporting commercial goods from Canada
- Date modified: