Please note that this questionnaire was designed for your personal use only and is not an assessment tool for the CBSA officer trainee (developmental) selection process. It is designed to help you determine if the CBSA Officer Induction Training and Development programs and a career as a border services officer (BSO) are right for you.
- Are you at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident?
- Do you have a secondary school diploma?
- Do you have a valid driver's licence?
- Have you successfully completed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course?
- Do you believe your values and personal qualities match those of the CBSA and are you prepared to fulfil its commitment to service excellence?
- Would you be able to successfully complete the Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation in 4:45 minutes?
- Are you willing and available to work anywhere in Canada, including rural or remote areas?
- Are you willing to work various rotating shifts, weekends and statutory holidays?
- Do you make an effort to learn about cultures that are different from your own?
- Are you comfortable interacting with people who come from different cultures and backgrounds?
- Do you deal with stressful situations in a calm and constructive manner?
- Do you have the self-confidence to be assertive when the situation calls for it?
- When making a plan, do you think ahead about possible obstacles you might encounter and how you could deal with them?
- When talking to someone, do you check to make sure you understand their concerns, feelings or needs?
- Do you have the ability to make effective decisions in ambiguous or complex situations?
- Could you follow a training program that includes self-directed and in-class learning, physical training, use of force training, and simulation exercises?
- Would you be able to complete online theoretical modules which require the use of, and extended access to, a computer?
- Do you possess the self-discipline and determination to complete these modules within the allocated time?
- If successful in the selection process, would you be willing and available to attend the 18-week in-residence portion of the Officer Induction Training Program at the CBSA College in Rigaud, Quebec?
- Do you readily accept instructions, suggestions or constructive criticism offered by someone in a position of authority or by a colleague?
- Are you willing and able to wear the required uniform, protective clothing (such as a bulletproof vest) and CBSA issued defensive equipment (such as handcuffs, oleoresin capsicum (OC) spray, duty firearm, etc.)?
- Are you willing to commit to providing the best possible service to all of our clients including Canadian citizens, permanent residents, new immigrants, visitors to Canada and the trade community, while protecting the safety and security of Canada?
to Protect and Serve
- Are you prepared to carry a duty firearm and use it or any other necessary physical force in the performance of your duties?
- Are you willing to work in an armed law enforcement environment?
- Do you want to be part of a dynamic organization that promotes a continuous learning environment; provides interesting and challenging developmental opportunities; and will challenge you both physically and intellectually?
If you answered "YES" to the questions above then a career in border security may be for you.
- Date modified: