CBSA Officer Self-Assessment Questionnaire
We strongly encourage you to review the information below and complete this self-assessment before applying to become a CBSA officer trainee.
The Canada Border Services Agency works to ensure Canada's security and prosperity by managing the access of people and goods to and from Canada.
An integrated border agency that is recognized for service excellence in ensuring Canada's security and prosperity.
- We work with vigilance at the border, within Canada and abroad, providing the services necessary to help keep our nation safe and prosperous.
- Born of the rich history that is our legacy, we are proud to protect and serve Canadians and confident in our ability to meet new challenges.
- We are united in our resolve to carry out our diverse mandate and enforce the laws of Canada with impartiality and fairness.
- As leaders and innovators in border management, we value our strong domestic and international partnerships and are dedicated to working together on critical safety, security and trade issues.
- We rise to the challenges we face each day and take pride in knowing that the work we do makes a difference in the lives of Canadians while contributing to global security and commerce.
Our Commitment to Service Excellence
- Respect and courtesy
- Bilingual service
- Fair application of the law
- Accurate information
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Review of our actions and decisions
Please note that this questionnaire was designed for your personal use only. It is not an assessment tool for the CBSA officer trainee application process. It is designed to help you determine if the CBSA officer trainee job is right for you. Please take a moment to respond to the following questions.
- Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and at least 18 years old?
- Do you have a secondary school diploma?
- Are you willing to be posted anywhere in Canada?
- Are you willing to work various rotating shifts, weekends and statutory holidays?
- Do you readily accept instructions, suggestions or constructive criticism offered by someone in a position of authority or by a colleague?
- Are you prepared to carry a firearm and use it or any other necessary physical force in the performance of your duties?
- When making a plan, do you think ahead about possible obstacles you might encounter and how you could deal with them?
- Do you have the self-confidence to be assertive when the situation demands it?
- Do you have the ability to make effective decisions in ambiguous or complex situations?
- When talking to someone, do you check to make sure you understand their concerns, feelings or needs?
- Are you able to deal with stressful situations in a calm and constructive manner?
- Do you believe that you have personal qualities and values that match those required to deliver the CBSA's mandate as well as fulfil its commitment to service excellence?
- Do you make an effort to learn about cultures that are different from your own?
- Are you at ease when interacting with people who come from different cultures and backgrounds?
- Do you meet the following standards?
- Vision: corrected vision 6/9 in better eye and 6/15 in other eye.
- Hearing: no more than 25 decibel loss (in better ear) at a range between 500–3000 hertz. This standard applies with or without hearing aids.
- Are you willing and able to wear the required uniform, protective clothing (such as a bulletproof vest) and job-related equipment (such as handcuffs, OC spray, duty firearm, etc.)?
- Can you adjust your behaviour to remain productive through periods of ambiguity, uncertainty and stress?
- Do you consider yourself to be honest, to have a high moral character and to be law-abiding in both behaviour and attitude?
- Do you consider yourself to be in good physical condition and to be able to complete the physically demanding training of the CBSA officer trainee? This involves passing the CBSA use-of-force training, which includes the use and maintenance of a duty firearm and other defensive tools. It also includes working in various modes of traffic (inside trains, airplanes, boats, ships, automobiles, containers, etc.) and in all weather conditions.
- Do you want to be part of a dynamic organization that promotes a continuous learning environment, provides interesting and challenging developmental opportunities and will challenge you both physically and intellectually?
If you answered "YES" to all of the above questions, then the CBSA is looking for you. Please ensure that you meet or obtain the basic requirements, then submit an application.