Border Information Service
Frequently requested - Travellers
- Travel documents (including the Electronic Travel Authorization)
- Border wait times
- Paying duty and taxes
- Personal exemptions
- Visiting Canada
- Moving back to Canada
- Settling in Canada or coming to Canada to study or work
- Import vehicles
- Import and export a firearm or weapon
- Import by mail/courier
- Contraband detection
- Import or travel with pets
- Restricted and prohibited goods
Frequently requested - Commercial
The Border Information Service (BIS) is an automated telephone service that answers incoming calls and provides general information on CBSA programs, services and initiatives through recorded scripts.
Service in English or French
Calls within Canada
Calls outside Canada
Long distance charges apply
TTY within Canada
For those with hearing or speech impairments
You must choose one of the following four options before pressing “0” to speak to an officer.
- Personal or traveller
- Business importation/exportation
- Currency exchange rates
- Coming to Canada
Officers are available Monday to Friday (08:00 - 16:00 local time / except holidays) should callers require additional information.
During high volume call periods, callers will be placed into a queue until an officer is available.
Touch-tone phone users may use shortcuts at any time during the recorded message:
- Press "*" to return to the previous menu;
- Press "#" to repeat the message.
Rotary-dial phone users cannot make selections from the recorded menus; however when calling during business hours, they will be transferred to an officer.
- Date modified: