Checklist for Exporting Commercial Goods from Canada

This document is also available in PDF (166 Kb) [help with PDF files]

This checklist, to be used in conjunction with the Step-by-Step Guide to Exporting Commercial Goods from Canada, is intended to complement and not replace existing regulations, acts and references.

Exporting requirements include the following:

  • Obtain your import/export business number from the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Identify what type of goods you want to export. You may also want to check that the goods you are exporting are admissible in the country of final destination.
  • Determine whether you will use the services of a customs broker.
  • Verify whether the goods are controlled, regulated or prohibited to be exported by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) or any other government department or agency. Obtain an export permit if required.
  • Determine whether the goods need to be declared on an export declaration.
  • If an export declaration is required, determine the appropriate export code for the goods from Statistics Canada's Canadian Export Classification.
  • Select the method of shipping (by air, highway, marine, post or rail) and identify the export reporting time frame for that method if required.
  • Complete an export declaration. If the goods are not subject to an export declaration, advise your carrier and indicate no declaration required (NDR)” with the proper explanation or corresponding numerical code on the transport documentation (cargo control document, manifest, bill of lading, etc.).
  • In most cases, submit the export declaration electronically by using the Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) or G7 Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) or, if necessary, submit a paper B13A, Export Declaration.
  • If a proof of export is required and electronic permits reporting is not available, present a paper copy of the electronic export declaration and the other government department(s) permit at the CBSA office closest to the point of exit.

Please note:

  • Should you need to cancel a shipment or modify information about a shipment that you have already reported, submit an amended declaration.
  • The export shipment may be examined by the CBSA or other government officials.
  • Keep records of your exports for a period of six years following the date of export.
  • Be aware that the CBSA uses the Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS) to assess monetary penalties against businesses that do not comply with customs legislation.

For more information, within Canada call the Border Information Service (BIS) at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 – 16:00 local time/except holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.

Date modified: