Other Measures for Steel and Aluminum
Below is information for Canadian businesses related to Government of Canada measures on steel and aluminum products. These measures include:
- surtax of 25 per cent on steel or 10 per cent on aluminum and certain other goods originating from the U.S., effective on July 1, 2018;
- provisional safeguard surtax of 25 per cent on seven categories of steel products (heavy plate, concrete reinforcing bar, energy tubular products, hot-rolled steel sheet, pre-painted steel, stainless steel wire, and wire rod), effective October 25, 2018 to April 28 or May 12, 2019, depending on the product category; and
- final safeguard surtax on heavy plate and stainless steel wire, effective May 13, 2019 to October 24, 2021, with surtax rates depending on product category and period.
CBSA Information on U.S. Surtax
- Customs Notice 18-08, Surtaxes Imposed on Certain Products Originating in the United States
- Customs Notice 18-16, United States Surtax Remission Order
- Surtax on U.S. goods - Frequently Asked Questions
CBSA Information on Provisional and Final Safeguards
- Customs Notice 19-08, Final Safeguard Measures Imposed on the Importation of Certain Steel Goods
- Customs Notice 18-17, Provisional Safeguard Measures Imposed on the Importation of Certain Steel Goods
- Customs Notice 18-24, In-transit Steel Goods Remission Order
Department of Finance Canada Information
All information on federal steel and aluminum measures, as well as on support programs for businesses in the sector, are available on the Department of Finance’s steel and aluminum portal.
- Date modified: