1. Effective , the United Kingdom and certain associated territories will no longer be covered by the Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement by virtue of Brexit. This means that eligibility for the Canada-European Union Tariff (CEUT) preferential tariff treatment is withdrawn for goods originating from the United Kingdom and certain associated territories, as set out below. Such goods must now be accounted for under the Most-Favoured-Nation (MFN) tariff treatment.
2. This withdrawal of eligibility for the CEUT preferential tariff applies to the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, Gibraltar, and the Isle of Man. As of , goods that are exported from the Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia to Canada shall be declared as being exported from Cyprus.
3. Importers of goods originating from the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Gibraltar and Isle of Man, that are in-transit to Canada on or before , and that would have been eligible for the CEUT preferential tariff treatment, may receive the same duty relief by following the instructions provided for in Customs Notice 20-39, Implementation of the United Kingdom Trade Continuity Remission Order, 2021.
4. Importers should have in their possession proof that the goods were in-transit. Such proof may include, but is not limited to, the following documentation: commercial invoices, sales orders, purchase orders, shipping documents (specifically the through bill of lading), report of entry documents, and cargo control documents.
5. The through bill of lading must indicate that the goods started their uninterrupted journey to a consignee in Canada on or before . Documentary proof may be requested at any time by a Canada Border Services Agency officer.
Amendment to the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff
6. An amendment to the List of Countries and Applicable Tariff Treatments in the T2021 version of the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff has been published to remove the CEUT preferential tariff treatment for the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, Gibraltar and the Isle of Man.
7. For more information, call the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS):
Calls within Canada & the United States (toll free): 1-800-461-9999
Calls outside Canada & the United States (long distance charges apply):1- 204-983-3500 or 1-506-636-5064
Contact Us at the CBSA website may also be accessed for information
- Date modified: