The Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS) is a free, web-based, self-service portal for submitting electronic declarations and Summary Reporting Program monthly reports. It is replacing the Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) system, which Statistics Canada is retiring on .
Pre-recorded information session
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) post-postponed live CERS information sessions and is now offering a pre-recorded CERS information session upon request.
This session provides a CERS overview, system walkthrough, and onboarding tools and resources. To request a link to our training webinar, please contact email@example.com. In your email, provide the email address to which you want the link sent and confirm that you have read and agree with our Terms and conditions regarding communicating with the Government of Canada before submitting your request.
Benefits of the Canadian Export Reporting System
- An online portal (that is, no software to download)
- Accessible from any computer terminal (Refer to More Information for technical specifications)
- Similar registration process and functionalities to the eManifest Portal
- Data validation prior to export declaration submission
- Same data elements as CAED with enhanced features
- Electronic Summary Reporting Program (SRP) reporting and bulk data uploading
- Submission historyFootnote 1
Onboarding to the Canadian Export Reporting System
The CBSA strongly encourages exporters and customs service providers to onboard to CERS now. To find out if your company needs to register for CERS or is part of an onboarding wave listed below, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Client onboarding wave 1||to|
|Client onboarding wave 2||to|
|Client onboarding wave 3||to|
Current CAED and SRP users
If you have submitted reports anytime between , and , you will be receiving letters by mail with the necessary instructions and a unique activation ID to start using CERS during one of the onboarding waves mentioned above.
Current G7 Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) users
If you are currently submitting export declarations using the G7 EDI method and only plan on using this application, there is no need to use the CERS portal. If you wish to start using the CERS application, you may register by visiting: Electronic Data Interchange / Portal Clients (Become a client).
New to electronic export declarations
If you have never submitted electronic declarations or have not used the CAED or SRP methods in over 2 years, you must register for the new CERS Portal in order to begin using it. Apply to register by completing and submitting form BSF831.
How to prepare
Confirm your business has an active business number that is designated for export
Call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-5525.
Determine who within your business will become the business account owner
The account owner will be responsible for activating the business account during your designated onboarding wave. If your business has multiple RM accounts, each RM account will require a business account owner and activation.
Determine portal user roles
The business account owner will assign user roles to each of your designated employees. More information on the various portal user roles can be found in the Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document: Chapter 25.
Determine if your business will be using the bulk upload or summary reporting functionalities
If so, determine the required updates to your systems (refer to the Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document: Chapter 25).
Visit Get started with electronic export declarations to learn more about the main features of the CERS solution. If you have any questions about CERS, please contact email@example.com .
- Clarifying proof-of-report requirements for exporters and carriers: Customs Notice 20-03
- Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) Program 2020 software release and new Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS): Customs Notice 19-22
- Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document: Chapter 25
- Mandatory Electronic Export Reporting for Exporters: Customs Notice 19-14
- Customs Act: Exporter or Producer's Records, Section 97.2 (1)
- Memorandum D20-1-5: Maintenance of Records and Books in Canada by Exporters and Producers
- Memorandum D20-1-1: Exporter Reporting
- Date modified: