The Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS) is a free, web-based, self-service portal for submitting electronic export declarations. It will replace the Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) application when Statistics Canada retires it on .
Notice: Export declaration submission
Once you have started submitting export declarations using the CERS Portal, please stop submitting export declarations using CAED. Using both systems at the same time increases the risk of encountering complications during the transition period.
- An online portal (i.e., no software to download)
- Accessible from any computer terminal (Refer to "More Information" for technical specifications)
- Similar registration process and functionalities to the eManifest Portal
- Data validation prior to export declaration submission
- Same data elements as CAED with several enhancements
- Electronic Summary Reporting Program (SRP) reporting and Bulk data uploading
- Submission historyFootnote 1
Piloting and onboarding to CERS
We are taking deliberate actions to balance fast and efficient onboarding while minimizing disruption for the export community's ability to report electronically.
|Client onboarding wave 1||to|
|Client onboarding wave 2||to|
|Client onboarding wave 3||to|
Current CAED and SRP users (who submitted reports anytime between , and ) will follow a streamlined activation process during onboarding to the new system. These users will not be required to re-register with the CBSA but rather, will receive letters by mail with the necessary instructions to start using CERS. As well, activation will not be required for G7 Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) users (if this is the only method used for export reporting).
All current CAED and SRP users will be notified by the CBSA when to activate their new CERS Business Account which will take place during an onboarding window.
How to prepare
Confirm your business's BN is active and designated for export
Call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-5525.
Determine if your business needs to register during the activation process
If your business submitted export declarations or summary reports anytime between and , no registration is required. If not, your business will be required to register once the registration window opens (refer to the diagram above, including key dates).
Determine who within your business will become the CERS Business Account owner
This owner will be responsible for activating the CERS Business Account during your designated onboarding wave. If your business has multiple RM accounts, each RM account will require a CERS Business Account owner and activation.
Determine CERS Portal User roles
The CERS Business Account Owner will assign user roles to each of your designated employees. More information on the various CERS Portal User roles can be found in the Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document – Chapter 25.
Determine if your business will be using the bulk upload or summary reporting functionalities
If so, determine the required updates to your systems (refer to the Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document – Chapter 25).
If you have any questions about CERS, please contact email@example.com .
- Canadian Automated Export Declaration (CAED) Program 2020 Software Release and New Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS) – Customs Notice 19-22
- Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document – Chapter 25
- Mandatory Electronic Export Reporting for Exporters – Customs Notice 19-14
- Customs Act: Exporter or Producer's Records – Section 97.2 (1)
- Memorandum D20-1-5: Maintenance of Records and Books in Canada by Exporters and Producers
- Date modified: