Private Boats - Frequently asked questions

1. How do I become a CANPASS Private Boats member?

Effective April 3, 2018, the CBSA ceased accepting new member or renewal applications for CANPASS Private Boats. Current members will be able to maintain privileges until their membership expires (5 years for CANPASS Private Boats).

2. Does CANPASS Private Boats membership allow me to telephone report when entering the United States as well as Canada?

No. CANPASS programs are for travellers entering Canada only. The US may have parallel or similar programs. You should contact US border agencies for further information on this subject.

3. Is CANPASS Private Boats available to Canadian travellers returning from St. Pierre or Miquelon?

No. All CANPASS passages into Canada (by boat or aircraft) must originate in the United States.

4. How do boaters who are not enrolled in CANPASS report to the CBSA?

You must proceed to a Designated Marine Telephone Reporting Station and, upon arrival, call 1-888-226-7277. A customs inspector will then instruct you.

5. Can CANPASS Private Boats participants use their privileges to import commercial goods?

No. You may not under any circumstances use your CANPASS privileges when importing commercial goods.

6. Can floatplanes registered in the CANPASS Private Aircraft program land and report at a marina, which is a boat-reporting site only?

No. These marinas are designated as reporting sites for recreational boaters only. Aircraft operators and passengers do not qualify as recreational boaters.

Date modified: