Private Aircraft - Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program?

The CANPASS - Private Aircraft program allows pre-approved, low-risk travellers coming to Canada on a private aircraft with no more than 15 people, including the crew, to report to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) by telephone before landing at an airport in Canada.

2. What are the benefits of joining the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program?

As a member of the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program you can:

3. How do I apply for membership?

You can download an application form from this Web site. Complete the application form E672, CANPASS Application Form, and mail it with your payment and photocopies of original documents to one of the addresses shown on the form. Each applicant has to fill out a separate application form.

4. Does my membership automatically include my immediate family?

No. Each person on the aircraft, including immediate family members, has to be enrolled in the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program.

5. Who is eligible for the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program?

This program is available only to Canadian and U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents. CANPASS aircraft programs are applicable to flights originating in the United States only.

6. If I have had a criminal conviction, can I join the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program?

If you have been convicted of a criminal offence, you might not qualify for the program unless you have obtained a pardon.

For U.S. citizens and permanent residents: alcohol-related driving offences, such as driving while intoxicated, driving while ability-impaired, and driving under the influence of alcohol, are criminal offences in Canada. You may want to contact a Canadian embassy or consulate in the United States to discuss immigration admissibility and legislative requirements.

7. How do I report to the CBSA?

The pilot communicates with CBSA officials on your behalf. The pilot is in charge of the aircraft, and is responsible for reporting goods and presenting himself/herself, the crew, and passengers to the CBSA by telephone.

8. Who has to make the required telephone call to the CBSA?

The pilot must call the CBSA 2 to 48 hours before the plane's arrival in Canada.

9. How will CANPASS - Private Aircraft members declare goods they are bringing into Canada?

All persons entering Canada on board the private aircraft have to tell the pilot if they have any goods to declare. The pilot will make a declaration on behalf of each traveller.

10. How will CANPASS - Private Aircraft members pay duties and taxes if they exceed their exemption?

If duties and taxes are payable on goods reported by the traveller, the officer at the telephone reporting centre will obtain VISA or Master Card information from the traveller, including the full name shown on the card, card number, expiry date, and personal mailing address. Then the charges will be made to the credit card and the credit card receipt will be mailed to the traveller as proof of payment.

11. What are the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program enrolment procedures?

All participants have to complete their own application forms, pay a processing fee, and receive individual authorization. Parents or legal guardians must complete the application on behalf of children who are under 18 years of age.

12. What are the fees for the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program?

Applicants pay a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$40 per person. Fees are waived for applicants who are under 18 years of age.

13. For how long will my membership be valid?

Your membership will be valid for five years.

14. Can I use my membership when I arrive at an airport of entry (AOE) after the CBSA office has closed for the day?

Yes. As a program member, you can land at any AOE that is open for landing whether or not the CBSA office is open.

15. Is the CANPASS - Private Aircraft program appropriate for persons who travel on regular scheduled commercial airline flights?

No. A program called CANPASS Air is available for frequent travellers on commercial airlines.

16. Can I use my CANPASS - Private Aircraft program membership to fly to the United States?

No. You cannot use your membership to enter the U.S. It is valid only for entry to Canada.

17. Can I use my membership to bring some friends with me, as in the CANPASS - Corporate Aircraft program?

No. Only registered CANPASS program members can travel with you if you want to invoke CANPASS privileges.

18. How does the legislation on cross-border currency reporting affect me?

You must declare currency or monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 to the CBSA during the first telephone call.

Date modified: