Related Links

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the primary enforcement agency protecting the U.S. borders. Their Web site contains useful information for Canadians exporting to the U.S.

Business Number Registration
The BN is a numbering system that simplifies and streamlines the way businesses deal with the federal government. It is based on the idea of one business, one number. To register for a BN, or to include an RM program account identifier activated for export to your existing BN, call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Business Enquiries at 1-800-959-5525. BN registration, through Business Registration Online, is also available for small and medium-sized businesses that do not have complex registration requirements.

Canada Business Network
Canada Business Network is a collaborative arrangement among federal departments and agencies, provincial and territorial governments and not-for-profit entities. It provides information relating to all trade-related government departments and agencies including such subjects as starting to export, export financing, export market research, export marketing and entering the market.

The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service provides on-the-ground intelligence and practical advice on foreign markets to help you make better, timely and cost-effective decisions in order to achieve your goals abroad.

Export Development Canada
Export Development Canada provides insurance and financial services, bonding products and small business solutions to Canadian exporters and investors and their international buyers. They also support Canadian direct investment abroad and investment into Canada. Much of their business is done in partnership with other financial institutions and through collaboration with the government of Canada.

Certificates of origin
For Canadian exporters doing business under a free trade agreement, a certificate of origin must be completed in order for the importer in the foreign country to be able to claim preferential tariff treatment. For more information, please see: Memorandum D11-4-14, Certification of Origin

Duty Deferral Program
The Duty Deferral Program is designed to allow, in certain circumstances, importers, producers and exporters, to either relieve or defer the payment of import duties on imported goods. For more information, please see: Memorandum D20-1-4, Proof of Export, Canadian Ownership, and Destruction of Commercial Goods.

Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)
There are various situations that entitle Canadian and non-resident individuals or businesses to a GST/HST rebate. Click on the link above to find out if this is relevant to you, and how to apply for a GST/HST rebate.

USDA Import Requirements for All Firewood and Spruce Logs from Canada
Requirements for Canadian firewood of all species, as well as spruce logs (Picea spp.), have been applied at all Canada-United States points of entry. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requirements were published to prevent invasive forest pests, such as the brown spruce longhorn beetle, from being introduced into the United States. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in shipments being rejected at the border.

Date modified: