Guide to exporting commercial goods from Canada:
Reporting your goods

4. Reporting your goods

Have you registered for the Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS)?

Reporting Timeframes

If you are required to report your export to the CBSA, you must do so prior to export and according to specific timeframes depending on the mode of transportation used to export the goods from Canada.

The minimum timeframe for reporting:

Methods to submit your export declaration

An export declaration can be submitted using one of the following methods:

Export Reporting Method, currently available, that will no longer be available after September 30, 2020:

Where to report your goods

If the goods you are exporting are restricted, you must present a paper copy of your export declaration (a print out of your electronic export declaration), together with the accompanying permit, certificate, or license to the CBSA at the place specified in the permit authorizing the exportation. If no place is specified in that permit, present all of your paperwork to the export reporting office located closest to the place of exit of the goods from Canada.

Restricted goods exported to the U.S. that are exempt from export reporting requirements (i.e. no declaration is required), however you are still required to present your permit, certificate, or license to the CBSA at the export reporting office that is indicated on the permit. If no office is indicated, it must be presented at the office that is located nearest to the place of export.

Examination of goods prior to export

Your shipment may be examined to ensure compliance with CBSA or other government department requirements. This examination is conducted without charge; however, if there is a need to hire a transport company to move or handle your goods, you may receive an invoice from that company for their services. In addition, you may be subject to costs which are generally charged by third parties such as warehouse operators, building facilities owner, etc.

Date modified: