ARCHIVED - BSF5018 - Commercial Driver Registration Program Participant's Guide

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

Catalogue No. PS38-9/2014E-PDF
ISBN 978-0-660-02083-9


As a member of the Commercial Driver Registration Program (CDRP), you have access to a simpler customs and immigration clearance when you enter Canada.

How does the CDRP work?

As an approved driver, you agree to comply with: the Customs Act and regulations; the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and regulations; all other laws or regulations administered by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA); as well as the terms, conditions, and procedures of the CDRP.

Remember, as a United States resident driver, you cannot work in Canada without proper authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. If you do so, you may be arrested and removed from Canada for violations of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.


As a participant you have to:

  • carry and present your CDRP photo ID card at the Canadian border;
  • carry proof of citizenship, and any necessary authorization papers from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services;
  • report everyone travelling with you, whether they are CDRP co-drivers or non-registered passengers;
  • allow no one to use your CDRP documents and privileges; and
  • accurately report your personal goods when you use the Traveller Declaration Card (TDC).

If you misuse your identification card or TDC, you will be suspended or removed from the CDRP program.

Importing goods

When importing goods, you have to:

You can get copies of I Declare, Information for Visitors to Canada and Seasonal Residents, and Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada from any CBSA office or from our Web site.

Change of information or loss of CDRP identification card and related documents

You have to notify us immediately if:

  • you lose your CDRP identification, or someone steals it;
  • your personal information changes (including citizenship, address, telephone number, driver's licence, or credit card);
  • personal circumstances change that may affect your CDRP membership, (e.g., a conviction under the Criminal Code); or
  • you are a United States participant and your purpose for coming to Canada changes (i.e., you will no longer be a commercial driver).

Entering Canada

When you enter Canada, you have to present to the border services officer your CDRP photo ID card, as well as any prescribed bar-coded documents relating to your commercial shipment (e.g., the Customs Self-assessment (CSA) Program approved importer's business number and the (CSA)-approved carrier's code). The officer will enter this information into our automated support system to verify all participants.

The border services officer will allow you to continue into Canada or refer you for further inspection or verification of your commercial documents. You may be subject to a full inspection any time you enter Canada.

Declaring goods

Canadian residents

As a Canadian resident with goods to declare, you have two options. You can use a TDC, or declare your goods directly to a border services officer.

When you enter Canada, you have to stop and present your TDC, your CDRP photo ID, and all necessary commercial documents to the officer. Wait for the officer to advise you to continue into Canada or to proceed into the designated parking area for further inspection.

For more information on your entitlements as a returning resident, see the publication called I Declare.

Traveller Declaration Cards (Canadian residents only)

Reporting goods is now made even easier: the existing Traveller Declaration Card (TDC), available online in a PDF fillable format, can now be saved on a computer or laptop.  This will allow clients to fill out the majority of the fields on the form only once, rather than having to fill them out every time.  Canadian residents are able to access the form at any point before or during travel, complete and print their TDC rather than using a previously issued booklet.  The online TDC has mandatory fields that must be completed by the traveller before presenting your card(s) to the border services officer when you arrive. When you use this system, we charge any duties and taxes you owe to your credit card. We base the amount you owe on the value of your goods (including any state taxes) in Canadian funds. Declare all personal goods you are importing on your TDC before you enter Canada.

The TDC lists goods by category. Mark the value of your goods in the appropriate category. Be careful not to crease or damage the card when you code your information. The tariff guide, included with the TDC, describes each of the card's 12 categories. Use this guide to help you decide which category to use to declare your goods. The categories have approximate duty rates that may be different from the rate under the regular tariff system. If you want a specific duty rate, declare your goods to the border services officer when you enter Canada.

You cannot use your TDC to import jewellery, cigars, cigarillos, tobacco sticks, or watches. If you have these kinds of items or if all of your goods are worth more than the maximum value for the TDC (see table below), you have to declare all of your goods to a border services officer.

Traveller Declaration Cards (Canadian residents only)

Length of stay outside Canada Personal exemption (CAN$)
Less than 24 hours $0
24 hours $200
48 hours or more $800


You may be able to claim a refund if there is a mistake in completing or processing your TDC. Mark your personal exemption clearly. We will not issue refunds if you have forgotten to claim your personal exemption.

For refunds on goods you have declared on the TDC, contact the CDRP Processing Centre for instructions. We will review your documents and mail you any refund you are entitled to. We do not approve claims for a tariff rate lower than the listed rates, or issue refunds for less than CAN$2.

United States residents

As a United States resident, you have to declare all goods, including personal durable goods, when you arrive in Canada. You cannot use the TDCard system.

Canada has special requirements and restrictions on goods like firearms, animals and their products, and plants and their products. For more information on your entitlements as a visitor to Canada, see the publication called Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents).


You have to comply with the CDRP terms, conditions, and procedures stated in this guide. If you fail to comply, we can assess monetary penalties against the carrier and/or revoke your CDRP membership.

If you commit an offence under the Customs Act or the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, we can seize any undeclared goods and the vehicle used to transport them, issue penalties, and initiate criminal prosecution.

If you have questions about suspension from the CDRP, call the CDRP security officer at 905-354-5099.

Need more information?

If you have questions about the CDRP application, contact the CDRP Processing Centre during regular business hours.

CDRP Processing Centre
P.O. Box 126
Niagara Falls ON L2E 6T1

Telephone: 905-371-1477 or 1-800-842-7647
Facsimile: 905-354-2332

If you have questions about the Customs Self-Assessment (CSA) Program and the Commercial Driver Registration Program (CDRP), contact us at one of the client services offices listed in Appendix B, or visit our Web site at

Appendix A – Commercial Driver Registration Program designated offices

Province Location Address Phone number Hours of service
Quebec Lacolle Agence des services frontaliers du Canada
District de la Montérégie
Édifice commercial
Route 15, Saint-Bernard de Lacolle, QC
J0J 1J0
450-246-2145 or 450-246-2175 24 hours / 7 days a week
Ontario Neebing Commercial Operations
CBSA - Pigeon River
7690 Highway 61
Neebing, ON
P7L 0A2
807-964-2093 24 hours / 7 days a week
Ontario Windsor Commercial Operations Ambassador Bridge
4285 Industrial Road
Windsor, ON
N9C 3R9
519-967-4234 or 519-967-4249
3:00 p.m.: 519-967-4235
Monday to Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Closed on weekends and holidays
Ontario Lansdowne Commercial Operations
Canada Border Services Agency
860 Hwy 137, Hill Island
Lansdowne, ON
K0E 1L0
613-659-2392 Monday to Friday
8:00 a.m. to Midnight
Ontario Fort Erie Commercial Operations
Peace Bridge Commercial Centre
10 Queen Street
Fort Erie, ON
L2A 6M4
905-994-6308 24 hours / 7 days a week
Ontario Sault Ste. Marie Commercial Operations
Canada Border Services Agency
125 Huron Street
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6A 1R3
705-941-3067 24 hours / 7 days a week
Ontario Niagara Falls Commercial Operations
CBSA – Queenston Bridge
14154 Niagara Parkway, at hwy 405
Niagara-on-the-lake, ON
L0S 1J0
905-262-4612 24 hours / 7 days a week
Manitoba Emerson Commercial Operations
General Delivery Hwy 75
Emerson, MB
R0A 0L0
204-373-2474 24 hours / 7 days a week
British Columbia Surrey Commercial Operations
Pacific Highway
28-176th Street
Surrey, BC
V3S 9R9
604-538-3635 or 1-800-461-9999
Outside of Canada: 1-204-983-3500
24 hours / 7 days a week


Appendix B – Client services offices

Province, territory or state of residence Phone Number
Alabama 416-954-0770
Alaska 604-666-6753
Alberta 403-292-4326
Arizona 403-292-4326
Arkansas 416-954-0770
British Columbia 604-666-6753
California 604-666-6753
Colorado 403-292-4326
Connecticut 514-496-8085
Delaware 416-954-0770
Florida 416-954-0770
Georgia 416-954-0770
Hawaii 604-666-6753
Idaho 604-666-6753
Illinois 416-954-0770
Indiana 416-954-0770
Iowa 416-954-0770
Kansas 403-292-4326
Kentucky 416-954-0770
Louisiana 416-954-0770
Maine 902-426-6511
Manitoba 403-292-4326
Maryland 613-991-0537
Massachusetts 514-496-8085
Michigan 416-954-0770
Minnesota 403-292-4326
Mississippi 416-954-0770
Missouri 416-954-0770
Montana 403-292-4326
Nebraska 403-292-4326
Nevada 604-666-6753
New Brunswick 902-426-6511
New Hampshire 902-426-6511
New Jersey 613-991-0537
New Mexico 403-292-4326
New York 514-496-8085
Newfoundland and Labrador 902-426-6511
North Carolina 613-991-0537
North Dakota 403-292-4326
Northwest Territories 403-292-4326
Nova Scotia 902-426-6511
Nunavut 613-991-0537
Ohio 416-954-0770
Oklahoma 403-292-4326
Ontario (Northern) 613-991-0537
Ontario (Southern) 416-954-0770
Oregon 604-666-6753
Pennsylvania 416-954-0770
Prince Edward Island 902-426-6511
Quebec 514-496-8085
Rhode Island 902-426-6511
Saskatchewan 403-292-4326
South Carolina 613-991-0537
South Dakota 403-292-4326
Tennessee 416-954-0770
Texas 403-292-4326
Utah 403-292-4326
Vermont 514-496-8085
Virginia 613-991-0537
Washington 604-666-6753
Washington, D.C. 613-991-0537
West Virginia 613-991-0537
Wisconsin 416-954-0770
Wyoming 403-292-4326
Yukon Territory 604-666-6753
Date modified: