1. This customs notice is to advise that the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act (TPVA) has received Royal Assent and came into force on May 23, 2018.
2. “Vaping products” (formerly known as e-cigarettes and electronic nicotine delivery systems) include vaping devices, and their individual parts such as atomizers (heating element), and vaping liquids. Most vaping devices consist of a battery, a heating element, a tank or reservoir, and a mouthpiece and work by heating the vaping liquid to form an aerosol that is inhaled by the user.
3. Prior to the TVPA implementation, Health Canada considered any concentration of nicotine in a vaping product to be a prescription drug and commercial import (i.e. importation for sale) was prohibited.
4. Personal shipments of vaping products containing less than 66 mg/ml nicotine (only identifiable where the vaping product specifies the concentration), Over the Counter or Natural Health Product ingredients, including re-usable delivery systems, with or without health claims may be imported for personal use (reasonable amounts for 90 day supply within a 90 day period).
5. Commercial shipments of vaping products with no health claims and no health product ingredients (can contain nicotine as a sole ingredient) may now be imported into Canada under the TPVA.
6. Commercial shipments of unlicensed vaping products and any vaping products that make health claims regardless of ingredients contained are not admissible to Canada.
- Date modified: