1. This notice replaces Customs Notice 15-018. It provides new information regarding the timeframes for when penalties may apply for failure to transmit electronic warehouse arrival notifications.
2. The purpose of this notice is to inform sufferance warehouse owners/operators licensed by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) that on the requirement for the electronic notification of cargo arrival at sufferance warehouses under an amendment to the Customs Sufferance Warehouses Regulations became mandatory as previously communicated in Customs Notice 14-002.
3. This mandatory requirement applies to operators of all types of CBSA-licensed sufferance warehouses. The 45 business day implementation period extended to warehouse operators will end on . From , to , warehouse operators who do not comply with electronic warehouse arrival requirements may be issued zero-rated penalties (non-monetary) under the CBSA’s Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS). Warehouse operators who do not comply with electronic warehouse arrival requirements past this date may be issued monetary AMPS penalties.
4. The electronic Warehouse Arrival Certification Message (WACM) must be transmitted by registered participants in the CBSA’s Release Notification System (RNS), using an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) method, when unreleased commercial shipments physically arrive at the sufferance warehouse to which they are destined.
5. The requirement for an electronic WACM replaces the current manual arrival and transfer of liability process at inland destinations that requires warehouse operators to endorse the cargo control document, bill of lading, waybill or other similar document provided by the carrier.
6. To participate in the RNS service, clients and/or their authorized third party service providers must register and undergo system testing with the CBSA’s Technical Commercial Client Unit (TCCU). Detailed information is available in Chapter 21 of the Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document (ECCRD). You may contact the TCCU by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-888-957-7224 and selecting Option 1.
7. New notices will be introduced in the future in order to improve the lines of communication between all parties and simplify the pre-arrival and reporting process. Detailed information is available in Chapter 11, Advance Commercial Information (ACI)/eManifest Notices of the ECCRD. To request a copy of the ECCRD, you may contact the TCCU.
8. Clients may experience delays in release processing should the WACM be delayed or not received at all from the warehouse operator.
9. For e-mail support on eManifest policy and processes, contact the eManifest Help Desk at email@example.com.
- Date modified: