Ottawa, August 10, 2012
This document is also available in PDF (175 KB)
[help with PDF files]
eManifest – A49 Automotive Report and Release Document – Interim Procedures
- This notice is applicable to carriers using the Form A49 Automotive Report and Release Document for clearance at highway borders.
- Effective immediately, carriers submitting Form A49 for the report and release of qualifying shipments and who have electronically provided the conveyance and cargo information (eManifest) to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), will be required to follow the below instructions when presenting documentation at the border:
- (a) The eManifest lead sheet must be included when presenting Form A49.
- (b) As per normal procedures, the carrier will provide one copy of the Form A49.
- (c) The eManifest lead sheet must contain either a bar coded Conveyance Reference Number (CRN) or a bar coded Cargo Control Number (CCN).
- (d) The CCN must be clearly indicated on the Form A49 in either Field 8 "Carrier code – Code du transporteur" or in the body of the form.
- (e) Multiple CCNs may be applicable to one A49. Should this occurs, all CCNs must be notated on the Form A49.
- (f) Should additional space be required, the CCNs may be listed on the back of the Form A49.
- (g) It is important to ensure the CCN(s) that was electronically transmitted for eManifest are notated exactly on the Form A49.
- (h) Carriers may use a Pre-arrival review system (PARS) number as the CCN providing this was the number used to transmit the eManifest cargo information.
- (i) Carriers are encouraged to provide the CCN in bar coded format on the Form A49; however, legible handwritten CCNs will be accepted.
- (j) The eManifest lead sheet and Form A49 will be stamped by the border services officer and the eManifest lead sheet returned to the driver.
- (k) Form A49 will be retained by the border services officer for furtherance to applicable automotive importer.
- The above process has been implemented to avoid
unnecessary cargo tracing action requests. Submission
of documentation not in accordance with the above
instructions will not be accepted by the CBSA and will
be returned to the driver.
- Inquiries pertaining to this notice may be directed
to Import Programs.