The Global Online Enrollment System enables registered users to submit their applications online for U.S. Customs and Border Protection (U.S. CBP) trusted traveller programs, such as NEXUS.
Both U.S. CBP and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will use the information provided on the application to determine eligibility to participate in NEXUS. The non-refundable application fee is US$50 per applicant aged 18 and over and is payable by credit card only.
A separate application should be made on behalf of or by each applicant. This will prompt the system to generate separate online GOES accounts. After the initial application processing is complete, an update is noted in the applicant's GOES account instructing him or her to schedule an appointment for an interview.
Before you start: How to apply
When you apply using GOES, follow these steps:
Step 1: Exit the CBSA Web site
Step 2: Register with GOES
- On the GOES welcome page, select “Register in English” to begin creating a GOES account.
- Once you have created a password and received an identification number, you are a registered GOES user.
Step 3: Apply for NEXUS
- In order to apply for NEXUS, you must be able to prove that you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
NOTE: If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen and are also a permanent resident of another country, you will need to provide proof of both your citizenship and your permanent residency status.
- If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, you will need to provide proof of citizenship through one of the following:
- valid passport
- birth certificate
- Canadian citizenship certificate or card
- Certificate of Indian Status
- If you are a Canadian or U.S. permanent resident, you will need to provide proof of permanent resident status in Canada or the United States through one of the following:
- valid permanent Resident Card or
- Record of Landing (IMM1000)
- If you are a Canadian or U.S. permanent resident, you must be able to prove that you are residing in either Canada or the U.S., except if otherwise exempted.
- Proof of your current place of residence in Canada or the U.S. (one of the following):
- valid driver’s license
- other provincial identification card
- other federal identification card
- Additionally, you may also need to provide the following documents if applicable:
- Any Canadian or U.S. issued immigration permits for work or study
- Car registration information (not mandatory)
- Your NEXUS card number (for people renewing their membership)
- Once you have all of the required documents on hand, sign in to your GOES account and complete the application form online.
- A valid credit card is required to pay the non-refundable processing fee of US$50.
- Submit your application. The information will be sent to both U.S. CBP and the CBSA.
Step 4: Processing
- Monitor your account for information on next steps.
- Once the initial processing of your application is complete, you will be notified of this by the system and you can set up an appointment for an interview at a NEXUS Enrolment Centre.