eManifest is a transformational initiative that is modernizing and improving cross-border commercial processes. It enhances the Canada Border Services Agency's (CBSA) ability to identify potential threats to Canada, while facilitating the movement of low-risk shipments across the border. With the implementation of eManifest, the CBSA must receive and validate highway carriers' electronic cargo and conveyance data a minimum of one hour before shipments arrive at the border.
eManifest requirements for highway carriers are mandatory.
Beginning January 11, 2016, carriers who do not comply with eManifest requirements may be issued monetary penalties under the CBSA’s Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS) and will experience processing delays.
What you need to do
- Ensure you have a valid CBSA-issued carrier code and that the CBSA has your current company contact information.
- Choose a transmission option for pre-arrival reporting. They are:
- the Internet-based eManifest Portal, developed by the CBSA primarily for small- to medium-sized businesses; and
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) methods. To transmit your eManifest data using an EDI method, you must apply to become an EDI client. Some EDI methods require testing with the CBSA's Technical Commercial Client Unit (TCCU) which can take a minimum of two to three months to complete. A list of EDI software/service providers who have already completed testing of their software/service with the CBSA is available on the CBSA Web site.
- Consult the applicable chapters of the Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document for technical information about submitting, changing, deleting and amending advance highway cargo and conveyance information.
Tools and Resources
- Go to the eManifest section of the CBSA Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca regularly for the most up-to-date information.
- Sign up online for free eManifest Webinars and request presentations by e-mail.
- Subscribe to the eManifest Web feed to be notified of important eManifest updates.
Client Support and Contact Information
E-mail and telephone support is available:
- For general eManifest information, call the Border Information Service
- toll-free within Canada: 1-800-461-9999
- outside Canada: 1-204-983-3500 or 1-506-636-5064
- TTY within Canada: 1-866-335-3237
- For e-mail support on eManifest policy and processes, as well as eManifest Portal Shared Secret applications, contact the eManifest Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For detailed technical support, contact the CBSA Technical Commercial Client Unit
- by e-mail at: email@example.com
- by phone at: 1-888-957-7224 and press 1 for EDI assistance or press 2 for technical eManifest Portal assistance (toll-free within Canada and the U.S)
- Date modified: