Canada Border Services Agency
Symbol of the Government of Canada

News Release

Prairie Region (including the Northwest Territories)

CBSA will provide border clearance at Fort McMurray Airport and advises travellers to plan ahead this season

Fort McMurray, Alberta, December 20, 2012 — Effective December 26, 2012, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will provide border clearance services for the 2012-2013 winter charter season at Fort McMurray Airport.

The CBSA is committed to facilitating the travel of legitimate people and goods while maintaining the safety and security of all Canadians. As always, through its commitment to service excellence, the Agency will work to ensure efficient processing of travellers while protecting the integrity of Canada's border.

To facilitate their return to Canada, travellers should consider the following travel tips before their departure:

Proper identification

Make sure that you are carrying proper identification for you and any children travelling with you so you can prove that you have the legal right or authorization to enter Canada upon your return. While a passport is not mandatory for entry into Canada, it is the only document that is universally accepted.

Travelling with children – authorization letter

All adults travelling alone with minors are strongly recommended to have a letter authorizing them to take the children on a trip out of the country. The letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached. Divorced or separated parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of legal custody documents.

Personal exemptions

When you return to Canada, be prepared to pay the goods and services tax on your purchases, and customs duties on some items. Declare all your purchases and have receipts readily available. After an absence of 24 hours, you may bring back $200 worth of goods duty- and tax-free. However, please note that if the amount being imported exceeds $200, the duty and taxes are applicable on the entire amount of the imported goods. After an absence of 48 hours, your personal exemption is $800. There are no exemptions for same-day travel.  

You can include one of the following alcoholic beverages, duty- and tax-free, if you have been away for at least 48 hours:

  • 1.5 litres of wine; or
  • 1.14 litres (40 oz) of alcohol; or
  • A combination of wine and liquor not exceeding a total of 1.14 litres (40 oz); or
  • 24 cans or bottles of beer or ale (8.5 litres maximum).

The following amounts of tobacco can be imported, free of duty and taxes, if you have been away for at least 48 hours:

  • 200 cigarettes (1 carton); and
  • 50 cigars or cigarillos; and
  • 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and
  • 200 tobacco sticks.

Food products

Canada has  specific requirements, restrictions and limits on the importation of meat, eggs, dairy products, honey, fresh fruits and vegetables, and other food products from all over the world. For more information, visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Web site.

Plants and animals

Plants are potential carriers of insects and disease. For this reason, border services officers control the entry into Canada of plants, soil, sand or all other material in which vegetation or plants are rooted or wrapped. For more information, visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Web site.

The CBSA is committed to providing the best possible service, which includes helping you know what to expect when you arrive at the Canadian border. For more information, visit the CBSA Web site or contact the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999.


For media information

CBSA Prairie Region Communications
Lisa White

Follow us on Twitter (@CanBorder), join us on Facebook or visit our YouTube channel.