Canada Border Services Agency
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Importing by Mail

Harmonized sales tax (HST)

If you live in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario or Prince Edward Island, you must pay the harmonized sales tax (HST) on items you import into Canada by mail. If you live in another province or territory, please see the Goods and services tax (GST) page.

You don’t have to pay duty or the HST on the following goods that are imported into Canada by mail:

  • goods worth CAN$20 or less; and
  • gifts from family members or friends who live abroad when the gift is worth CAN$60 or less.

Foreign-registered publishers outside Canada are allowed to pre-collect the HST on printed matter only, such as books, newspapers, magazines and periodicals.

Non-printed items imported into Canada by mail from foreign-registered publishers are subject to the HST upon import.